View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Inclusion 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While performing my teaching of physical education in the public schools, a big issue I saw, was inclusion of disabled children into the non-affected class. I am curious as to how you feel about inclusion?
Personally, I think it is good for them to have the opportunity to socialize with other students and participate in the same activities. But what about those students with behavior disorders, that influence other students to be off task or start trouble? What about the children with disorders that affect their communication ability?

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Burl, let me just tell you how relieve i am that i will not have to experience this problem in a classroom. I know that sounds bad, but it takes a very special person to be able to handle children with disabilities. God bless all of those special education majors. I do think that it is very important to have inclusion but there definately needs to have a line drawn. Children that are emotional disturbed need to be placed in a classroom with other children that are differently-abled until they can prove that they can make it in a "regular" classroom without making to many interruptions. And that goes for any other child whose disability will alter the environment in the classroom. As a physical educator, i will have children that are differently-abled, but i believe (i can be wrong) that those students will be suitable to be able to perform up to par or even better than the other students. Any other child that can not, i believe, should be placed in an adaptive physical education class, and should stay there until they are able to display that they are ready to make it in the non-adaptive class. Does anyone else argue with me, if not please let me know. I need to learn more about this issue from special educators.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope that when I'm student teaching I get placed with a teacher who has classes where inclusion is practiced. I know that I need the experience because my knowledge on the topic is really scarce. The only experience I have working with disabled people is a workshop with disabled adults where there were enough helpers there so that each attendee had someone working with them, which is not how the situation is going to be in a public school.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:32 pm
All-star
All-star

To a certain exent, I think it depends on the severity of the disability, but I am all for inclusion. I really believe that kids do rub off on each other. Yes, there may be some negative aspects, but I think that the positive will far outway the bad. As long as teachers are good models, and they have high expectations for all students, I think inclusion is the way to go.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Inclusion has wonderful outcomes if implemented in schools properly. In elementary school, inclusion can be EXTREMELY benficial to the social & academic development of not only the child with the exceptionality, but also for the other regular children. In high school, inclusion can get a little sticky because of the different forms of diplomas and what not. It is really sad that the general education teachers are not getting sufficent knowledge of strategies for children with special needs because I will bet that everyone of you will have students who either haven't been identified as special ed., or who have been but inclusion is being implemented. With the right supports from administration and special education teachers, inclusion can be very successful. Modifications and adaptations can be used to effectivly teach ALL students together. Eventually, schools will probably be forced by the govt. to do inclusion in all schools.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Inclusion is a must. Children who are diagnosed with learning or mental disabilities are usually given medications to help which help with control of disruptive behavior. If we are going to include children with handicaps we need to include children with other diagnosements as well. Each student in every school must be treated equally. Period.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am completely for inclusion. As the son of a special ed teacher and the room mate of another i can understand the importance of this. There is a law called equal education and disabiled students deserve the same education that everyone else does.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]