View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 + and - correlation 
All-star
All-star

Would someone be willing to explain to me the difference between positive and negative correlation. I understood it in class but now that i am working on the final i can't seem to wrap my brain around the idea. Thanks so much!!

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:39 am

If I understand it correctly, an example of positive correlation can be observed between class attendance and grades. As a student attends class more often, their grades are more likely to go up and as a student misses classes, their grades are more likely to go down (both variables move in the same direction with positive correlation). I can't think of a good example for negative correlation right now but with a negative correlation the variables move in opposite directions. So as x occurs more often y will occur less often, and vice versa.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

An example of negative correlation is grades and number of absences. When the number of absences is high, grades are low, and vice versa.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Imagine a graph. A postive slope is one taht goes up from left to right, meaning that both axises [sic] are low, then as it gets higher, both axises are high. So if the Y axis is Grades, and the X axis is Attendance, then it would be a postivie slope, correlation. As attendance goes up so does the grades.

negative would be a negative slope.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]