View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ishmael 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Who knew a Gorilla could be so insightful? I like this book. And I know you all will think that I'm crazy, but consider the source. I think Dr. Bill, the science guy would enjoy it too. I think we should send him our copies when the class is over so he can use them in one of his literature circles. What do you all think? What better contribution could we make in the name of science? Elaine

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel like the person that Ishmael is "talking" to. I, too, am having a hard time trying to figure out what he is trying to say. This gorilla is truly a deep thinker. On page 61, the person figures out what Ishmael is implying or trying to get him/her to figure out - that man feels that the world was made for us and we can do with it as we please. I do think that many do feel that way, but what about the animal rights folks? They seem to value animal life over human life. I'm only on chapter 5, so maybe I should read on before I form any other opinions.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I had just finished Ishmael this morning when I flipped on the tv to catch the morning news. Suddenly I saw a commercial with a gorilla talking to two people lying in their bed in a hotel room. He was counseling them about buying insurance or on stocks and bonds....I thought to myself....ISHMAEL LIVES!

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read that today, Amy. What I think I am finding so intreging is that without using Genesis as a reference they are basically 'grasping at straws' to explain the whys and hows of why we are here. Mythology though is a term I hadn't heard used before for why Christians believe in the Creation. Will the Bible's creation history one day be thought and taught in our schools the way Greek mythology is? That would be a sad day indeed. Elaine

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:13 pm

I really liked this book also. I started it and I found that I couldn't put it down. I guess when you think about it there is a lot Ishmael says that makes some sense. I'm glad that they person he talks to always says that he dosn't understand. that is how I feel sometimes :? I'm glad the listener in the book asks for clarification. See everyone monday :)

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Is it possible for a taker to become a leaver? I do agree that we need to rely on God more and not on ourselves. Self-reliant, self-sufficient, self-starter are all attributes that we feel are positive these days. Ishmael is trying to convince us that that is what has gotten us in such bad shape. Is it possible to reverse the damage? I really like what he said about teaching 100, and then that 100 would teach another 100.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Didn't Bill talk about Ishmael when we met at Fatz? I think he has already read it because Emily said he mentioned it last year in our class also. Yes, I do think he would/did enjoy it. It's right up his ally. You know I was just wondering what would the world be like if we could read everyone's mind? Scary thought!!!

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]