View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Poisonwood Bible 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hello everyone! I am interested to hear everyone's feelings on The Poisonwood Bible. It is an amazing story/journey. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. Hope all of you enjoy! Good luck with the new school year.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't read the book yet, but if it is part of the Oprah Book Club it's probably really good. :D

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:35 pm
All-star
All-star

It took me the first 200 pages to get through to where I started to enjoy it. I could never imagine my father leading my family to a dangerous and unstable area as the Congo in the 1960s. It was a little difficult for me to really understand the mother's additons to the different books. However, I went back to reread her comments and saw the reflections. How difficult it must have been for that entire family to stay and then leave in pieces. I could not believe how different the lives of the 3 remaining girls became. All were prisoners of Africa, to some extent, and never let go. It was such a profound experience, but it neglected to be as the father intended. A fantastic read, altogether, and one to think about after the back cover closed.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is exactly how I felt the first time I read this book! The journey is amazing and the self-discovery of the family (for those members who actually grew from the experience) was unbelievable. The women in this book were definitely captives of Africa and their father/husband as well. They were almost prisoners in their own family. Some were able to rise above the situation and grow from the experience, others remained stuck, and some were worse for the whole thing.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:13 am
All-star
All-star

I have only read the first 60 pages so far, but love this story. I feel as though I am right there with this famiily and experiencing the same things they are. I am anxious to keep reading. I much prefer this kind of story than Ismael, which I just finished.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am almost finished. I love this book. I feel so attached to the characters. Each girl has such different voice and incredible amounts of self awareness. I of course can't relate to thier experience in Africa, but I can relate to much of the emotion they experience as they move through various stages of life.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Finally, a book I am really enjoying. It is a relief after Ishmael, although it is quiet long. I am enjoying getting to know the girls and how different they are and what an experience they are living. It is so hard for me to comprehend living in a situation like that.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I must admit, I am quite intimidated by the size of the book. I'm glad to read that some of you are enjoying it.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Barbara, you're not alone. I'm a bit intimidated also by the size of this book. I'm excited to get started though after all of the positive remarks about it.
Lindsey I hear ya, Oprah does know how to pick good books. :)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have enjoyed reading the Poisonwood Bible. I love getting to know the characters in detail. I remember reading about a specific event in the book and finding it interesting how two girls saw things so diffenently. I starting thinking about my own family. I was the youngest of four children. When we get together now as adults we can remember a specific holiday or event but we all seem to relate to the experience differently. Many of the decisions we make as parents are based on how we perceived what our parents thought of as correct.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I found an article in Time Magazine as I was catching up on my reading. The Gates Foundation along with another group are working to develop hybrid seeds and techniques for planting in Africa. I immediately thought of the Poisonwood Bible and the suffering that went along with not having enough food and nutrients for the families of Africa. It was very enlightening and I plan on giving the article to Gayle.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have read about half of the book and I can't put it down. I am enjoying this book after reading Ishmael. Getting to "hear" from each member of the family is a great way to know how each one is feeling. I am curious about dad. Does he have a chapter later in the book?

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]