View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 GENDER? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Are we in America going to have a gender revolution?

Will girl toys and boy toys ever just be toys?
Will we have no gender assigned bathrooms?

What does the future hold in regaurds to gender and society?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i don't honestly believe that we are having a transgender revolution in america. it makes people feel too uncomfortable. just like all the states that had a ban on gay marriage in the 2006 election succeeded in making that amendment to their constitutions.

but, i do wonder.. if you are transgendered, does that make you homosexual when you like the sex you biologically (if you chose NOT to operate) are?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i am so glad janelle brought this up. i am so baffled by this. so a man that feels as though he is a woman inside and has a sex change operation to become a woman. since he is now a woman does that make him attracted to men (which he formerly was)? or is he still attracted to men since he has a woman's hormones? i am not sure if any of this is making sense or not. it barely makes sense in my head, so i am probably not being clear enough but if anyone has any thoughts i'd love to hear them.

also...this whole topic is crazy to me and seems so out there until literally tonight when my roommates and i were sitting in wendy's and there was a man dressed as a woman. i am not sure if he was a transgender or just a man dressed in drag or what or really how to label them because this whole concept is new to me. it just suddenly all clicked how this is everywhere. even in smalltown boone, nc.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:33 pm
All-star
All-star

There is a really simple answer to all this confusion. It's so simple that I think it must have flown under most people's radars. The simple answer is:

you like who you like.

So instead of trying to figure out whether a transsexual is homosexual or whether the man in Wendy's is a woman, it simply boils down to a person liking another person, and a person being a person.

The problem, IMO, is that most of today's theories differentiate sexuality and gender until there are so many sexes and genders that we get confused. The resulting confusion is why I firmly believe that gender and sex should converge onto one gender and one sex. Maybe my theory doesn't make sense to people today but it does to me and I believe it will make more sense in the future. Besides, it's the simplest idea. ;)

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to say I strongly agree with Justin on this one. I know a lot of people who believe that sexuality isn't something you can really define in black and white. People don't have to be completely gay or completely straight, and people can fall in love with someone of a gender they didn't feel was their preferred gender.

For example, think about a woman who falls in love with a transsexual man, perhaps even falls in love with him while he is still in the body of a woman or even playing the role of a woman in society. Does that make her a lesbian? I don't think so. Perhaps more importantly, I don't think it really matters when you boil things down.

Sure, there are gay men who are repulsed by the thought of having sex with a woman, etc. For them personally, sexuality might be an all-or-nothing issue. For others, sexuality fluctuates.

I guess all I'm trying to say is...we don't really need any more labels in society.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really like what both Justin and Mandy said. There is no need to label and confuse and make everyone fit into a category...you are who you are...and you like who you like. There is no reason to try and categorize everyone, just accept them as they are.
And for Traci's question, I don't think we will have a gender revolution...at least not anytime soon. Too many people are unaccepting and set in their ways that I don't think it would be possible.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess the whole issue of 'liking who you like' and homosexual idealogy is hard for me to grasp completely in my head because Im straight, and I've always been attracted to the opposite sex. It's hard for me to fathom how someone could be attracted to the same sex, and it's hard for me to understand it. That's just me being honest.

As far as a transgender revolution in America on the scale of the Civil Rights or Women's Rights, I just don't foresee it happening. Maybe not in my lifetime, maybe later, I just don't see it right now. It's too unsettling for a whole lot of people.

I can't help it, I guess I'm just going to say my own personal opinion, but I do have a very hard time logically thinking that a man who wants to live as half man, half woman, and likes living as no labeled gender-- I have a hard time with accepting this human being as 'normal'. However, this doesn't mean that I should discriminate against them, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying for me, I just can't accept it as normal when a person wants to live as no specific gender.

I guess personally I do feel that something's wrong when this takes place.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It doesn't personally affect me if someone decides to be homosexual or transgender, because that is their own decision. I do feel as though people do have the right to dress how they want to and do what they want to do. However, just as much as the transgender community wants to be accepted for who they are, I think it needs to be realized that in order to accomplish this you can't necessarily throw your beliefs or thoughts on other people. There is a difference between not discriminating against and then thinking something is morally right. There are many people who this really offends. Just as much as they shouldn't be discriminated against, for some people to accept this it is to go against their religion.
I know I would feel completely imposed on if I walked into the restroom and a man was using the bathroom. I mean, honestly, this would do nothing but cause controversy if there were only unisex restrooms. That is just my personal opinion. Regardless if he feels like a woman and dresses like a woman, biologically, he is a man. I also would be pretty upset and offended if I met a man that I really liked and found out he was a woman, just as it stated in the video that this sort of thing has happened. I wouldn’t force someone transgender to act straight, so therefore I don’t think someone that is transgender should throw this onto a heterosexual person. Just as much as someone who is transgender wants to be respected, someone who is heterosexual also wants to be respected. Therefore, I think all opinions and perspectives should be taken into consideration.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Stephanie I agree with a lot that you said.

For me personally, it does go against my religion to fully condone homesexuality. This doesn't mean that I hate people who are gay or transexual, it just means that I dont fully agree with all aspects of it. I think that in God's love we should love all people, no matter what, and treat people how we would want to be treated. But this doesn't mean that I have to agree with it, or be a pro-gay rights activist.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]