View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 College Admissions 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was able to read an editorial from, The Public School Forum's Friday Report last night. The article discussed how the Pope Center for Higher Education was advocating for "Backward Progress". The Pope Center is recommending that the government invest less in higher education. George C. Leef, author of the article, The Overselling of Higher Education states that admissions and grading standards should be dramatically raised to narrow the numbers of those pursuing education beyond high school. He also states that too much money is being used for remedial program because there are so many students who are entering colleges under-preparared and unmotivated. If this were to happen I feel that we would again go back in time and heavily rely on standardized testing to make the cuts for admissions. His arguments may be valid but I think the colleges and universities may miss out on many very talented students if they make their pathway for entrance too small. I would love to know how the rest of the class feels about this issue.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read this article, or one that was similiar in the paper. I was shocked that they were advocating for less students to get into college. It is difficult to get a job today if you do not have a high school and college education. The job market is very competitive already. If a student decides not to study and try hard their first year in college that is their own problem. I had several students in my undergrad drop out after freshman year, but at least they were afforded the opportunity to try to see if college was for them. There are some students that go into college and decide that even though they have never tried hard before they want to do good in college. At least they get the chance to try.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How sad it is that someone is backing an idea to make life even harder for the less fortunate. We are moving into a time period where jobs are hard to come by. With all of our factory jobs moving to other countries where do these people expect someone with no college degree to go to get a job. I guess they will just have to hope that whatever job they get they are considered below the poverty level so they can get some finicial assistance, that is if the government doesn't just do away with all of the funding for welfare and medicaid. I agree with Lindsey that everyone should be given a chance.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found your article to be quite interesting, and was surprised to hear that educational standards are going to be raised to lower the number of college students. What about the N.C. educational lottery? One would think that this MONEY would make college available for more students. I wonder what department or agency will tap into this account.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm dumbfounded and don't know what to say!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too am in disbelief. Everyone knows the more educated people are the better the society will be for it. Why would anyone ever want less educated people? It would be going backwards. This does not make sense. Everyone deserves an opportunity for higher education. What they choose to do with that opportunity is their decission. I also thought the N.C.Educational lottery would help make college available for more.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is seriously one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!!

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this would be terrible! I know how difficult it is to make a living without a college education. I had no intentions of going to college after high school and planned on working. This lasted only three years--then I realized I couldn't survive on what I was making and I wanted something better for myself. There are a lot of students out there that may not really apply themselves in school, but could do better--that may not get the opportunity to go to college if things change. Sometimes it takes those students going off to school to grow up and really apply what they know. I think all students need the chance to try--if that is what they want.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, exactly, all students do need the chance to go to college, and to be successful, if they so choose, and are willing to put forth the tremendous effort that is takes. It is disappointing to think that many high school students do not choose, or are discouraged, to attend some form of higher education, whether it be a community college or a 4 year college/university. A college education puts a person a good step ahead at earning a living and becoming a successful and contributing citizen. As a teacher, I will continue to encourage my students to get as much education as their hearts' desire, and guide them in the direction of higher ed.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]