View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Just a thought! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So, I just thought that I would share this with everyone!

I am in Block 1 and I have been doing my Practicum at Mountain View Elementary School in Morganton. Their is sooo much diversity in the school (the majority of the children are African American and Hispanic children, a few White children, a few Hmong children, etc.). Along with what we have been discussing in class all semester, these are some of the comments that I have noticed:

* "thats so gay"
* an African American child talking to a White child: "Im dark chocolate
and your white chocolate"
* "you're such a pussy"
* "that's a girly sport"
* teachers grouping according to ability level

But the one thing that I noticed that I was really excited and suprised to see was how well the children interacted with each other, regardless of race. The children all played together and most considered a person of a different race one of their best friends!

Because I wasnt the teacher and mainly just an observer, I never said anything about the comments listed above. But as a teacher, what would you say to them and how would you go about explaining that those comments are inappropriate? Remember - they are 3rd graders!

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Questioning would be my first step, followed up by some patient sympathizing. For example:

"Why did you call what Bobby did gay?"
"So gay means ..."
"Do you do anything that is gay?"
"Would you like it if Bobby said what you were doing was gay?"

That kind of thing ...

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Justin. It is important to know where a kid is coming from at first but after questioning explain how it could be hurtful and inappropriate.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Traci.. Some of these comments could be coming from children who hear these comments from older siblings or parents and they do not have the slightest clue what it means or that it could be hurtful to someone.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think Ashley makes a very good point and I agree with what every else said. I got in the bad habit of calling things "gay" last year and didn't really think much about it. I had a friend who constantly questioned me for it and it really made me start thinking about what it was that I was saying. I think for kids to be aware of their words at a young age will prevent ignorance or abrasiveness in later years. Its tricky as a teacher but thats the role we have a chance to play!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Justin that it's very important to have "Patient sympathy" with the students, but definitely make sure that as the teacher you make sure the student know that what they said was wrong to say, and could be hurtful to others!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just the other day I was walking down the hall at my internship in the high school and was amazed to hear some of the things that came out of the students mouths as I walked passed them. From what I can see bad language in schools is a getting to be a very big problem and talk in the hallways is making its way in to the classroom as I have also senn on several occasions. I am not sure how one would go about fixng this problem at the high school level. I think kids must learn early that this is not appropriate and it disturbs me to hear your third graders saying those words so early.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]