View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Cultural Capital 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just finished reading Absolutely Normal Choas for my other class. The character Carl Ray reminds me so much of the students we saw in the video about social classes. He comes from a lower class family in West Virginia and goes to live with his cousins. Carl Ray does not have the correct table manners, etc. When he recieved a donation for college tuition I couldn't help but make a connection between him and Cedric. Even though he seems to be smart, I just kept thinking about the hidden rules from society(cultural captial) that he doesn't seem to possess. I hope this isn't too deep for a fictional character.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

ANother connection I've made is Emmett Till. He certainly did not know the hidden rules of the society where he moved. If he did he probably would not have whistled at that women and then brudally murdered.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How true Lori. Just lastnight in another class someone was complaining about how much help the government gives to Native Americans and how they offer to pay for their college but they don't go. I was so appauled and couldn't believe that I had to defend them. Native Americans who live on a reservation whether closed or not do not have the social capital that it takes to go away to college. I pointed out that I too would be scared if I had not been anywhere else and known any other way of life.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How funny Kelly! It's interesting to me how people are so quick to judge those lacking cultural capital, when they themselves wouldn't necessarily fit into a higher, or lower for that matter, class. I just wish we could all try to make others feel comfortable in these situations. (That is a bit naive I know, but that's why it's a wish).

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kelly, that sounds like an interesting book. I might try to read it when my classes are over. I did read the Emmitt Till book in children's Lit, and I agree. This relates back to the Delpit article. Different cultures have different beliefs and we shouldn't judge them because they may be different from us.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]