View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Unisex Bathrooms 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading the ASU newspaper today and there was an article about unisex bathrooms. The SGA proposed the idea and it passed. The paper said "the converted bathrooms will offer more privacy as well as a safe restroom for transgender students." They have plans for further possibilities for gender-neutral housing. I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I think i'm ok with the individual stall bathrooms, because right now that's what some faculty bathrooms are, however I would be very uncomfortable with multi-stall unisex bathrooms and the gender-neutral housing...i'm not that will ever work!
I'm a little unsure about the whole situation...what's y'alls take on this article???

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i asked the VP and President of SGA and there will not be uni-sex stall bathrooms... only private restrooms. and their reasoning isn't just transgendered... when they talked about it... they talked about a lot of different situations where this is necessary (like families or mom's with children of opposite sex)... but the newspaper didn't mention that. interesting? yes.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm very glad to hear that these will be private bathrooms and not stalls and knowing that they are also for the purpose of parents with children of the opposite sex also helps. It is very interesting that this was not mentioned in the article though.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Emerald that I would be comfortable for having individual stall bathrooms, but having a multi-stall unisex bathroom will make me feel very uncomfortable. In a way I would feel violated and I would always be worrying that someone is going to look over the stall. I know this sounds dumb and probably a little to extreme, but even though that person would probably never look over the stall, the thought would always be in my head. I would not be able to use the bathroom without thinking about this. Not saying this would happen, but if they allow multi-stall unisex bathrooms that would mean that pretty much anyone could come in. I mean all a person has to say is that they are a transgender and he or she could use the bathroom. So you know there are going to be a lot of people going in this bathroom just for the heck of it, even though he or she is not a transgender. This also could increase the rate of people being raped. I feel like if they pass multi-stall unisex bathrooms, they will also pass multi-stall unisex showers. I think the best thing to do in order to make sure everyone feels comfortable is create individual bathrooms and showers to accommodate different people’s needs.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dont believe that I would feel comfortable with unisex stall either. I mean you can see through the cracks of the stalls and I would feel comfortable while I was using the bathroom knowing that a guy could be sitting there looking at me.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]