View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Judging Others 
All-star
All-star

Barbara mentions in Nickel and Dimed that the worst complainers that she experienced waitressing were the Visible Christians on page 36. I was wondering if anyone agreed with her perception/stereotype of Christians. I am pretty sure that not all Christians are like this? Do you think that this is because of her atheist background.

I must admit that I am sometimes very particular when it comes to receiving good service, however I do realize that the people making these mistakes are human too and do not deserve the harassment that they sometimes receive for being in a particular job.

I think that everybody who holds a job is scrutinized by someone else unless they are the boss themselves.

There are many parents out there that do not respect educators because they have chosen a higher paying occupation. What have been your experiences?

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:32 pm
All-star
All-star

My personal thought is that she feels that way due to being an atheist. If you look back, she was also degrading about the "tent" service. She saw it as something to do, then made fun of it.

I sure that people of every belief and every walk of life are rude and disgruntled at some point in time. For her to make that broad assumption is wrong in my opinion. In diversity, we learned how people make wrong assumptions based on skin color - I think the same could be said here about making assumptions based on religious beliefs.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Stereotypes of any sort are uncalled for. As a writer I am sure her atheistic views certainly colored her judgment. However, I do not necessarily consider "making fun of something" disrespectful. I have been to a few of these tent meetings as well and some of the things that happened were truly funny. She does perhaps cross the line when she lumps people into a category and says they all act like that.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think anyone who sets themself up on a higher moral ground, such as Christians, automatically must understand that they will be scrutinized. It is a fact of life. People who are imperfect who strive to be perfect (more lke Jesus) are going to fail time and time again. There will be a host of critics waitiing to point out these failings in order to build up their own self esteem. I'm sure that many school administrators, regardless of religious belief, have been in the same boat. Such is the senister cycle of society. We tear down our neighbors to lift ourselves up.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:41 am
All-star
All-star

I have heard before that Christians paid the lowest tips, but I didn't hold much weight to the words of the speaker making this comment. I agree with Rosana that Christians are carefully scrutinized and with her teaching point that administrators and teachers are also under that microscope. I tell our bus drivers all the time, we're driving around big yellow trucks with flashing lights and everybody is watching you! Be very careful about what you do...

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Heath,
You are so right about bus drivers. They are under the scrutiny of the public eye. I think driving the bus is one of the toughest jobs in education. This is a lot of responsibility for one person. I am so lucky. My bus drivers are top notch.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:48 pm
All-star
All-star

When I see children picking on others, I get the sense that others have picked on them.

I was watching a new kid in class start to kick around things when he had gotten a low grade on a paper. I saw his countenance fall in my class when I had tried to boost him in all ways since the first day of his arrival.

How are we going to be the stronger one to always do better by each one? We have to find a moral compass of sorts that will ring true within and never allow ourselves to believe that we are better than another.

What are we going to do with teachers who refuse to see the good in each one?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we have to breathe down their neck everyday if they really aren't giving some kids a chance. We have really started to put pressure on bad teacher with the use of action plans. We have even written some goals in these plans that deal with respect, fairness, and high expectations for all students. This is a tough issue to deal with.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:28 am
All-star
All-star

Tearing down your brother to build your own self esteem. Sounds a bit like Takers and Leavers to me. I was taught by a very wise woman to never judge a book by its cover. Yet, throughout life, I have been judged by others mainly due to my cover (skin color). We need to work very hard to understand one another. Don't take anything for granted. Live and let live! Give everyone you meet a chance before passing judgment.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:55 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]