View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Eating Disorders 

Do you know someone with an eating disorder?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Yes, more than one person 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

Eating Disorders 
Site Admin

We aren't talking about body images yet in our class but this program will be relevant to our work later, and to your lives and the lives of your students.

We will watch one of Jean Kilbourne's videos in our class, too, but not this one.

I hope you will be able to take advantage of these events.

Quote:
Did you know…

The peak onset of eating disorders occurs during puberty and the late
teen/early adult years.

At least 10 million females and 1 million males in the U.S. are battling
anorexia and bulimia, while another million more suffer from binge
eating disorder.

Eating disorders are a silent epidemic with devastating and
life-threatening consequences. Anorexia has the highest mortality rate
of any mental illness.

Many of our students struggle with eating disorders and the negative
self esteem that is part of this issue. Please help the Counseling
Center reach out to our students as we raise awareness and encourage
treatment for those that are in need of support. Our goal is to
challenge the misperceptions that encourage disordered eating and to
help our students develop a more positive sense of self. Please refer
your students to the following programs. Extra credit slips will be made
available at each workshop. A flyer of events is attached that you may
forward onto students and/or print and post in your department. Thanks
for all you do to promote wellness within our campus community!

Monday, Feb. 26
DIETS: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T AND WHY
Supplements, carbs, weight loss promises – learn what it’s all about and how to eat healthy on campus
12:00-1:00 PM in the Attic Window Room of the Student Union

MEETING JAKE AND FINDING ME
Listen to one young woman's inspiring story of reclaiming life from Anorexia Nervosa.
5:30-6:30PM in 028 of the Library

Tuesday, Feb. 27
HOW TO HELP SOMEONE WHO MIGHT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER
12:30-1:30 PM in the Attic Window Room of the Student Union

Wednesday, Feb. 28
THE MINDFUL DIET: THE NEWEST CRAZE IN WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
12:00-1:00PM in the Calloway Peak Room of the Student Union

THE SKINNY ON AMERICA’S OBSESSION WITH THINNESS
View Jean Kilbourne’s, Killing Us Softly 3, meet a Miss North Carolina Pageant Contestant, and chat with a Fashion Expert as we explore our
definition of beauty and the impact of today’s ads, models, and the media.
5:30-7:00PM in the Price Lake Room of the Student Union

Thursday, March 1st
LOVE YOUR SHAPE: CREATING YOURSELF WITH CLAY
Participants will use clay and other expressive arts to shape their body
image and create a positive sense of self esteem. 12:30-1:30PM in the Roan Mountain Room of the Student Union

From Mon-Thurs come by the contact table in the Union to pick up some great information, have your picture taken, share your real assets, and
get your photo printed in our new poster!

Sponsored by Appalachian State University’s Counseling and Psychological Services Center, an office in the Division of Student Development.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a really good friend that has been struggling with an eating disorder since the day I meet her. She struggles with a type of eating disorder called "selective." This is because she only eats because she knows she is supposed to but it is never a lot. She does not enjoy food or eating for that matter. Unlike almost everyone else I know she does not get cravings. She has recently gone out of the state to get help and is getting on the right track. She has gained about ten pounds in the passed couple of months. She looks amazing! And the program seems to be working in other ways because she is more confident in herself and her beauty radiates. She is gorgeous and now she is finally beginning to think she is! I am so proud of her!

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 am
All-star
All-star

This issue is a really tough one for me, and I almost considered not posting about it because it is so personal. Last semester my younger sister was diagnosed with aneorxia. She is just 13 years old. We're pretty sure it started when she was 11 or twelve, but we're not really sure. Any how, she lost a drastic amount of weight in the span of a year. She's about 5'9" (which is pretty tall for a girl her age) and at her lowest, was down to 100 pounds. We had to pull her out of school all the time to meet with different therapists and nutritionists, she was missing a lot of classtime.

Eventually we decided it would be best to send her to a treatment center out in Arizona, and she spent over 3 months in a program there (we had to pull her out of school in NC). She had to have a feeding tube for two months, and it was really hard for her to gain weight. It was a really hard time for me, because it just happened last semester. It was awful being away from home, knowing I couldn't do anything to help her eat. I have learned so much about the disorder, and can definitely recognize the signs. It's really easy to misinterpret the signs, a lot of people think the girls just do it for attention. It truly is a chemical and physical imbalance, just like alcoholism.

As teachers, I think it's important that we are sensitive to these issues, because as you can see, they start at a very early age. There were girls at the ranch in Arizona that were as young as 10. You could be the difference in a child's life... sometimes all it takes is a hand to reach out to them. My sister could have died if we didn't intervene. I can't even begin to think about what my life would be like without her.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I really had not realized until the last year or so, how many people these diseases affect. I also had not realized how many young girls this impacts. I was in the locker room in a stall changing this past week and I heard a young girl (when I saw her I would say she was about 1st grade age) and her mother talking. They were weighing themselves. When her mother got on the scale the little girl said, "Whats your number?" and her mom told her, and the little girl said, "is that good?". Now how does a 6 year old know if a weight is supposed to be good or bad? That just spoke volumes to me, but I may be reading too much into it.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Eating disorders is such an important topic. I think more people need to be aware of how serious these disorders really are. I have known people in the past who have had Anorexia and Bulemia. In high school one of my best friends was anorexic. Not only was this just taking a toll on her body but emotionally she was a different person. It really was hard on our friendship because she didnt like to admit or talk about her eating habits at all. Her family and I both got on to her about her lack of eating. I know now that instead of getting on to her about eating, we should have gone about the situation in a different way. After SHE realized she had a problem, she started to live life healthy again. It was her own realization that caused her to start to get better. Her mood dramatically changed after going through all of this. Our friendship never changed and we are closer now than ever.

Almost everyone knows somebody who has or had an eating disorder. Since this is the case, everyone should learn how to go about helping these people. If people become more aware, then maybe these disorders will not occur as often ....or can be treated sooner....before it takes their life away.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We have been talking about eating disorders in my Social Deviance class and how it has to do with our society's construct of beauty. The ideal for how women and men are "suppose" to look is so different from what the "reality" is. So all these young girls for example are striving for that ideal that is out of reach by taking extremes to get there. It is really sad that eating disorders are effecting so many people in our country. Eating disorders are also tied into specific groups like certain athletes, dancers, etc.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that our society's ideas of beauty have almost everything to do with why these diseases are so prevelent. Isnt it sad that the "ideal" look for a woman is so underweight and unhealthy and yet the "ideal" male body is for the most part a healthy shape and size. Girls in western culture have so much pressure to look a certain way and its depressing.

I dont know how widely publicized this was but the modeling industry has just made a big change. They apparently "just realized" that the images they portray as ideal have been a factor in eating disorders and so they are changing their look. Models are going to be required to be atleast a size four and manequins are going to be size six. Obviously not EVERY modleing agency is going this way but it was one of the major branches and one can only hope that it starts a trend.

I may not have an eating disorder but I have been wracked with feelings of inferiority for a long time in regards to my weight and shape. In medical terms I am perfectly healthy and its disheartening that every time I look in the mirror I have this harsh deuality of being proud of my feminine build and yet at the same time feel like I am fat and undesirable. And pretty much every girl I know feels exactly the same way even if they actually have the tall skinny look. My roommate is 5'9, wears a size six, have still manages to have all the right curves and I have to listen to how fat she thinks she is all the time. (Drives me crazy bc I would KILL to look like her lol.) And I know that every girl who reads this will know exactly what I mean and has a friend just like my roommate.

Small wonder that so many girls end up making a physical disorder out of the mental anguish that most of us feel.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:21 pm

just to start i find it interesting that the only people to omment on this so far are girls which to me is a common stereotype.

Allison i am sorry to hear about your sister but i am glad your family was there to help her.

Diana i must agree with you in that i dont like hearing people say they are fat. i would just about bet that i weight more then anyone else in our class and i have no problem with my weight. yeah i could lose a few pounds but there is no reason to fret over it. generally when i hear a girl or a guy for that matter complaining about their wight or look i use a large amount of profanity and basically say just stop your not fat.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm
All-star
All-star

If anyone was wondering, my sister is doing much better. She's put on about 35 pounds, and just made the tennis team at school to incorporate healthy exercise back into her routine. She continues to battle body image issues daily, but is still seeing therapists and nutritionists to maintain healthy methods for dealing with these issues. We're closer than ever, and i'm just trying to support her as much as possible.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]