View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gender in the classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I was at the elementary school I am doing practicum for in Burke County, I realized the teacher seperates girls and boys a lot. She will say things like, "Oh, I see the girls are being very quiet...you may go and get your jackets and line up...". How do we as teachers, not single out those people who may be a hermaphrodite, or have other problems distinguishing themselves with one gender? Are there things that we should be aware of when putting students into groups?

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yuck! I hate it when teachers split their students up like that. I remember when we were real loud and our teachers would have the boys and girls go against each other in a sorta quiet game thing and whoever was the most quiet got candy or something. Although student that are at elementary age seem to work best with their own gender. Boys are icky in K-3rd grade. I'm sure girls are the same.

My father is a middle school teacher. He has talked about how if you stick the boys with the boys and girls with the girls then you'll have a major problem. A few girls with some boys settle everyone down. Maybe they are scared of each other around that age.

I guess it just depends. I think you just have to know your classroom pretty well before you split up the class in anway.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that a teacher needs to know and understand their classroom before they split them up into groups. I personally think the best way to split classrooms into groups is to use a numbering system. Using numbers does not single out any child in any way. Of course you might have problems with the groups but the teacher can adjust the groups as needed.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I visited an elementary school over spring break and I noticed one way that a teacher seperated students in the class really well. She had four desks pushed together to make a group and then carefully selected members of different genders and races to sit in the groups. I think that this was a great way to create an accepting society. People often seperate themselves into groups based on looks and though she did the same thing, she made sure to mix it up. She also happened to have a really cool classroom and was singing and dancing when we came in. I have a problem with teachers who call out kids in the first place, let alone create a divide between the "good girls" and the "bad boys".

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have never understood the desire to seperate girls and boys into competing teams etc. It's never a productive thing.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My friend is interning in a first grade class and she was describing this new thing that the school is trying to put in place and they started with the first grade. They are actually dividing the classes up into a first grade class of boys and a first grade class of girls. She said that it is actually working really well for this school, but I just don't see how that is a healthy social environment for the students to be placed in at such a young age.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the numbering system is the best way to do it. This way you don't have to worry about offending anyone. I can't believe a school would have separate classes for boys and girls! Where is this school?

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]