View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 One religion, One God 
All-star
All-star

Why is it religion is often the tool used to rape and destroy a country. Throughout history, men have used religion as a means to and end. Usually the end meant the death of millions. Africa, the birth place of humanity and civilization, yet Europeans and Americans felt it necessary to change it all. Why? One religion, One God. Yes, this is good, but should a person and/or a country lose everything just for believing in God?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 pm
All-star
All-star

What is terrible is that so much good can come through missions work yet so much bad..... Unfortunately Nathan Price was probably the norm during the middle part of the century, I hope Christian (and any other) missions have since developed a better, more Christ-like, vision for their work.... I hope prayers like that at the start of the feast are no longer the norm

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:18 am
All-star
All-star

One of the basic beliefs in many religions is that having it makes life changing differences in a person. The problem with Mr. Price was that he did not see the people of the Congo as they were, he saw them as they should have been according to his beliefs about man and God. His beliefs were distorted by a sick mind that would allow him to brutalize his own family, just as he brutalized the Congolize people. Also, changing people in a country is a form of control often used in order to control that country's wealth. This is what America was doing in the Congo. Wealth was gained at the price of human dignity and human life.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 am
All-star
All-star

Look at the current events in the Middle East. Many people here and there often think of this as a holy war. In the Middle East we mix fear, religion, patriotic duty, personal interests, and etc into a confusing mixture that makes killing massive groups of seem more palatable. Just like what happened in the Congo. Most people were there were more concerned with survival then the diamond trade and political war.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:21 am
All-star
All-star

It amazes me, a christian, that some other christians believe there is only one right way and if you don't adhere to the right way then you're damned for all eternity. How narrow minded it is to believe that our God would condem all the people in the world who are faithful according to the culture they are born into. I belive in a merciful and kind God that is very much unlike Nathan Price's vengeful and fearful God. In reading the book I found some of the African beliefs about pre-existence and the after life were similar to my own. Nathan Price would have fared much better if he had looked for similarities in the Congolese and not their differences.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I hope that this hits you in your hearts. I find it hard to believe that the Word of God is not being read as it is. The Bible plainly says that in the last days there would be wars and rumors of wars. That we would not be able to tell the difference in the seasons. Ironically, it also says to be careful of false prophets. You must read the Word of God for yourselves. You cannot depend on anyone to tell you what it says. The problem with doing true Mission work is that you are going into areas in which the Word of God is not being allowed to be read or heard and not that people are mostly denying it. You cannot take Jesus without the Cross. There must be a point in our lives when we accept that there is some ugliness here on earth...This is not Heaven, but at times it is a mirror for Hell. Don't be alarmed when people use the Word for the own gain...The problem that I am seeing is that we have not done enough to protect those who do not know any better. We have to get off of our stools of do nothing or our stools of despair and hurt and work through that mess to get to an individualized relationship with Christ...Until we get there you bet there will be people using it for gain. Ask yourself this one question: what have you used it for?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 pm
All-star
All-star

i've wondered the same thing. I teach US history and I think about this many times through out the year. Yes, religion is a great thing, but it can easily be used against people. I think christians are quick to force it on other cultures. Christianity, or religion in general should be a choice, otherwise how can you truely believe.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]