View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 In-school suspension is not the answer 
All-star
All-star

Teachers in our school cannot assign a student to the CARE center. That is my decision with regard to the students' prior discipline record. We don't put kids in the center if it is obvious that its not beneficial to them.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 pm
All-star
All-star

ISS can be effective if the right personnel is in place. OSS is a vacation and many students WANT OSS. That's one reason BATS (Burke Alternative To Suspension) was created. They are assigned "OSS" but they must work during those days. There are several businesses that collaborate with the school system to make BATS work. Each year, the number of repeaters decreases!!!

Wow, this sounds great. What a life experience as well for these students to get out in the community and see the real world. How do the businesses work with the legal/liability issues I wonder. I commend the county in building the relationships with businesses in the community which can only enhance these students educational experiences. Cleveland County has an alternative school another short term center for students who have been suspended and another program for students who can't seem to perform in a normal school setting. I wish we would put some time and effort into a program like your BATS that could possibly make a difference for those students which could possibly get them back in school and be successful.
if you run across any of the info for this program will you email it to me who knows maybe our county will consider it.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I'll bring some BATS program brochures to class on Wednesday to anyone who wants one.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:23 pm
All-star
All-star

The BATS program sounds like something I would like to hear more about! So often we stop looking for options because we think everything has been tried. This sounds like a really new idea that could get communities and businesses more involved in schools.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:10 pm
All-star
All-star

As many of you have mentioned, ISS can be good or bad. Its definitely not a cure all, but it can be helpful. I feel that my school, along with many others, rely on ISS way to much. I like the idea of the BATS program from Lisa's school. I see more good in that sort of program.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:56 pm
All-star
All-star

In our school we have Before School Detention, After School Detention and Saturday School. BSD and Saturday School have replaced our ISS program. Our principal does not seem to have an interest in bringing the program back. The role of the ISS is that of a teacher by the letter of the law. He feels that a teacher can be better served in a real classroom as opposed to an ISS room. Therefore, no ISS.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:34 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2