View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Children with hearing disabilities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With Sarah talking about children with diabetes...

If you would please put yourself into a music teacher's shoes...
How would you deal with a child with a hearing disability? My father, who is an orchestra teacher, came across this problem. He has to wear a microphone during that class. Also has to basically point to the notes as he plays or he gets lost. Would you even let a child that wanted to play an instrument or sing that had hearing problems?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was in marching band, the 1st chair saxaphone was fully deaf yet recieved a full scholarship for music. I think children with hearing disabilities should be strongly supported if they choose to enter music programs, any child who wants to accomplish what he or she has been told they cannot is a wonderful thing.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would encourage any child with a hearing disability to participate in music programs through the schools. It is such a wonderful opportunity and though it can be challenging, the benefits the child is going to recieve is just wonderful! I had a friend in Marching Band in high school who had Downs Syndrome and she was a unique contribution to our program. She encouraged another child with Autism to join the band. They are both still playing music with church groups and a local organization. Music can make such a difference in the life of a child, especially one with special rights.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]