View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pray in Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So we have not really talked about religion in class and i always have been wondering people's opinions about this.

Should pray be said within the school day?
I see both sides of the spectrum because I came from a religious based high school so i had religion as a actually course. I liked how there was an opportunity to pray but not everyone is religious and there are many different religions within the school community. So in order for pray to work i think the students have to have the choice of participating or not. But how would that work??
What do yall think should pray be allowed in schools??

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe there should be a time set aside for students to have the option to pray. I'm thinking just an extra 5 min break where students that want to pray can go to the gym and pray with other students. This allows students to have options and nothing is forced upon the students that don't want to pray.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't believe there should be a set time for prayer within school. You are always going to have someone with different beliefs or no beliefs at all that you are going to offend. The best way to deal with this is to let the students pray if they want, but I wouldn't be in favor of having a "5 minute prayer time". If the students wanted to get together between classes and have a group prayer thats all well and good, but by setting aside a time for prayer you are getting into the issue of separation of church and state.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to a public high school so obviously we didn't have prayer in our school, but I never really saw a problem with not having a designated "prayer" time. My friends and I were in a couple Christian organizations and if we felt like we needed to have our own prayer time we would just do it between classes or in one of the counseling rooms. I think that when you have designated prayer times in public schools you start to make people feel like they are being forced to do something that they don't feel comfortable with. I think it is important for all students to feel welcome in their school.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Taylor and Matthew. If we set aside a time for prayer, other students will want time set aside for something they believe in. In public schools I think prayer should be held separate. One could even start a religious club that meets after school if that is in their interests.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel the same way as Taylor. I went to a public school and there was no time set aside for prayer, but I felt I did not need that time. I could pray whenever I needed to, in the halls on the way to class, before a test, whenever. I dont feel like I need a time set aside to pray, and I think that having a time like that would make some other students feel uncomfortable.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also don't think that there should be a time set aside for prayer in school. There are too many different beliefs, and I think this would make some children uncomfortable. Students can pray anytime during the day silently, so I don't see the need for a time set aside from the school day.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:54 pm
All-star
All-star

Something one of my teachers did in high school was to give the class 3 minutes at the beginning of class each day for reflection. During this time, we weren't required to pray, and we also weren't allowed to do homework. We could lay our heads down; we could pray; basically, we could do whatever we wanted as long as we were quiet and respectful. I really liked this idea, not so much because I want to try to force kids to pray, but I know for me, it gave me a few minutes to relax and focus before starting class. (It was a chemistry class, so I really needed the relaxation before we started. :wink: )

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't see a problem with prayer in schools. I think that time set aside is a great idea and to give the students the choice to choose if they want to or not would work. I think that religion is already in every public school with holiday breaks at Christmas and Easter. One school around my house(I believe that it was a christian school) always put the same message on their events board near the road that read " as long as there are exams in schools so will prayer"

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can see both sides of the argument. I personally, would love to have time set aside during the day for prayer. However, I understand that the idea of prayer in school may be offensive to some students. As others have mentioned though, there really is no way to keep prayer out of schools. Whether prayer comes in the school through the form of Christian clubs or organizations that meet to pray before or after school, or if students pray silently before a test or while walking the halls, prayer will always be in schools. I'm glad to know that anytime I felt the need to pray in school, there was nothing to stop me.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it should be okay to set aside time for prayer in schools. Students should have the choice of whether or not they want to participate. Those who choose not to participate can choose to do something else.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]