View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Why Johnny can't disobey 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One thing that I have a problem with with this text was the referrals to Hitler and the Holocaust. I realize that the author was making a point, but for the most part, the Holocaust was a very gradual thing, indeed starting hundreds of years before that horrific event took place. It wasn’t just BAM!Holocaust. That does not make it any less wrong or less horrible, but I feel like the author sort of stretched things a bit there. The changes were gradual enough so that those that carried out Hitler’s orders could psychologically adapt, in effect, dehumanizing both parties.

I had never heard of Jim Jones before this text, so I had to look up a few things before I understood what the author was referring to. Am I just ignorant or was anyone else not aware of this? I never recall hearing about this at school…

Obedience is needed in society. Without obedience and some conformity, we could not function as a coherent group. I believe the main emotion underlining this “extreme obedienceâ€

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really don't like how classes put photos like this up for students to view in order to achieve an intellectual conversation. A description would be less appalling. I know if I was a victim of a violent crime I would not want pictures of myself displayed as a stimulant for a scholarly conversation. I don't know whether or not the victims of these photographs consented to this sort of display, but something about the nature of these images tells me that it wasn't what they had in mind.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Shock value, I guess. They *want* you to be appalled. Words are less shocking, and most of the time less effective. Seeing a picture of a lynched person, and the crowd around him is more effective than, "And sometimes people were dragged down concrete and then hung by the neck for display". Same thing with the Holocaust. Seeing pictures of the horrible event is worse than "And the people were so starved, you could see every bone in their body."

I have to say I disagree a little. If I were a victim of a violent crime, I would want people to learn something from it. I'd want them to feel horrified and never engage in such an act that would do that to another person.

However, there is a fine line. Picture after picture is just too much. Viewing a couple of pictures is an effective tool, as long as the students are old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]