View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Transgender 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How would you react if a you meet someone who was transgender or if one of your friends told you they were transgender?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I would honestly like to say that I wouldn't have a knee-jerk reaction to the situation. Like Birttany was talking about in class, it is hard not to have a knee-jerk reaction at first because we aren't faced with this situation often in our lives. I consider myself an open minded person and would take into account that this is a persons own personal decision. I haven't faced this situation or known anyone who is transgendered, so until the times comes I don't know for sure how I would react, but hopefully open-minded to the situation.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Sorry Brittany, spelt your name wrong. Fixed it here though!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 pm
All-star
All-star

If I met someone and they just came out and told me that then I would probably just carry on the conversation and make nothing of it. I have a very open mind about this topic because I feel that I am not one to judge someone's personal decisions, especially ones there making about their body and sexuality. That's a personal decision all the way around, no matter what. I have never had someone tell me that they were transgendered or a cross-dresser but I wouldn't not be someone's friend or respect them any less if they came out and told me that.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If someone i personally knew came out to me and told me that they transgendered I think that i would still respect and react normally to their news. I believe myself to be a very open and accepting person, like many others of you have said, but i would really not know how i would react until i were faced with that situation. I have had some interaction with two transgendered people on campus but i do not really know them that well. I guess this has helped me to become more accepting and appreciative of the diversity around me.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I had something similar to this happen to me recently. I just found out pretty recently that a girl I've known since we were really young (pre-school age) is a lesbian. I found out from one of our mutual friends. It was a real surprise to me, because I thought I knew her fairly well. We were never super-close, but she went to my church at home and was 1 of only 2 other girls around my age there.. so I talked to her almost every week, if only in passing. However, even though I was surprised.. it didn't change how I thought of her in the slightest. I remember thinking something along the lines of "oh.. so I guess that's why she hasn't had a boyfriend," but that's about it. And, the next time I saw her (over Easter break) I didn't feel any different when I was around her.

She isn't transgendered, so it's not really the same thing as everyone else is talking about on this post.. but I would hope that I'd respond in the same way to that type of news about someone.[/i]

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 pm
All-star
All-star

i dont know how i would respond if i met someone who was transgendered. I like to think of myself as a pretty open minded person but i know that in this situation it would be hard not to have a "knee-jerk" reaction. Especially if it was one of my friends. It might take me a little bit to adjust to the news but i know that i would accept them for who they are and if they were a good person then i would not let something like this affect my relationship w/them.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel like i would try to be a very understanding person if a friend told me they were transgendered. They would face many obstacles and losing a friend shouldn't be one of them. I feel like you liked them before you knew, so why should it change? I would just hope my friends would be comfortable coming and talking to me about something like this if they had a problem.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel like I tend to be pretty open minded and accepting towards others, but I know if one of my friends told me they were transgendered I would have an initial reaction. I am not quite sure how I would respond because I have never been in this situation and have never come incontact with someone who is transgendered. I think it would take me a little while to get use to it in my mind, but I don't think I would treat them any differently. Just like Brooke was saying, this friend would need you to be there for them because there will probably be others who are not quite as accepting.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My initial reaction might be a little bit of shock but we all have thoughts and feelings. If someone felt comfortable enough to tell me that they were transgendered, I would embrace them and offer my ear. It would take a lot of courage and bravery to open yourself up. More power to those people who can talk about their thoughts and feelings.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly at first i don't know how i would react....it would definitely be shock. But if it were a friend of mine that told me this or anyone for that matter that could open up to me in such a manner, i feel that i would have open arms toward them. i feel that i am a very sincere person and i am usually open to anything and everything. I know that it is not the same, but one of my close friends in high school was gay. There were many people that would bad mouth and talk shit. But that didn't change how i felt about the person and continued to hang out with them and be very good friends. It shouldn't change your mind how you feel towards someone if they aren't exactly like you because no two people are alike. But they are still human and you should treat every with the respect that they deserve.

Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]