View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What sustains you? 
All-star
All-star

What sustains you?

I know for me, its the beach. I'm from the beach and have lived there most of my life, with the exception of my college years spent in Boone. I love surfing and just hanging out and relaxing there. When I'm there, everything in my life seems peaceful and okay.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

family, football, my history, history in general, my faith

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Beer. Nice one, Jeff. Definitely have to agree with that one.

I think having things in your life that sustain you is obviously one of the most important aspects of our lives. The hope project has really made me think about what really gets me through the day. I was thinking about what I wanted to do my project on and immediately thought of the things that I love the most: my family, my friends, sunshine, music. But when you start to dig a little bit deeper, it changes on a daily basis. What gets me through one day, might not cut it the next. What sustains me the most? The basic things, food, water, sleep, shelter are things that people don't think about often when it comes to sustaining them. It is a little bit morbid, but I have to think about what would destroy me if I lost it. Ouch. That is so hard to think about.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a really good example of what sustains me from earlier this week. I called home on Monday and was talking to my 14 year old brother and I heard my 3 year old brother crying that he wanted to talk, and then he just sat there on the phone, didn't really say anything, then said, "Bye Tracy, I love you". That is what sustains me. (Along with a ton of other things of course, but that's just one thing).

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm
All-star
All-star

My family, sports, beautiful days in Boone

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My daddy, niece, my boyfriend, and the feeling of hope sustains me.

My daddy because he is like my everthing. He loves me unconditionally.
My neice because I want to be a role model for her and want to be able to help her become who ever she wants to be.
My boyfriend is a part of my strength, he inspires me to believe in myself and know I can do anything I set my mind to.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is really dangerous to have people be your source of hope. And though I know its a joke, substances like food and alcohol is also dangerous. Once that person passes away, or moves away, you are left alone and without hope, you can't cope on your own. And with substances i think of people who eat to deal with stress... very dangerous.
For me it is hiking/camping/backpacking and art/photography. I have always been into the outdoors and that type of thing, and throughout high school i loved to draw. I have recently taken up photography and it too brings me great hope, though it is sometimes a source of frustration and stess as well if an image doesn't work as i hoped.
O ya, and beer too.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

laughter.....family, friends, my dogs. being happy as much as possible. scaring people and then laughing at them. that always brightens up my day.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

nice sunny days, the stars at night, going for a run, laughing (especially at myself), coloring, chocolate milk, and smiles from strangers

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow Jacob, I never thought of it like that.....I see now why it's important to have more than one thing that sustains you, especially if one of those is some inner motivation, or something you can do for yourself. It's true that if your hope is found in something external, especially another person or substance, it can easily disappear...so it's good to rely on one more thing that gives you hope.

For me, it is my dogs. One of them loves me unconditionally, and you can see it in everything he does. The other one's crazy antics keep me laughing so much that it's hard to be sad/upset. They need me to take care of them, and they love me. That's enough to keep me going.

But when they are gone....it's up to me to find something, deep down within myself, to get me through. I think it's there, I've just got to start digging to find it....

thanks for making me think, Jacob.

Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm
All-star
All-star

For me, it's being outside: hiking, camping, backpacking, swimming in lakes, laying in the grass looking at clouds or stars... I also have friends who give me hope, my family gives me hope, being with kids gives me hope, and thinking about my future gives me hope.

Thu May 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]