View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 "Genocide" pictures on Sanford Mall 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just kind of wanted to see what everyone thought about the pictures that have been on the mall the past two days.

When I walked past there yesterday, a few thoughts came to my mind: "disgusting," "where can I throw up?," "I'm so glad people are protesting this," and finally "thank for the hug, I needed that."

Now, I know everyone has different stances on abortion, but since we're a class that discusses the "undiscussed," I just wanted to see what everyone thought on the matter and how they responded to what is being displayed in the middle of our campus, right outside of the place we eat.

As for me, I'm one of those kind of undecided people on the subject. I consider myself pro-life, however, I've never been put in the position where I would have to decide. Even being someone is against abortion, these pictures are horrible. That is no way to try to "convince" people to be against abortion. It is just awful, rubbing something like that in someone's faces with the grossest pictures I've ever seen is just uncalled for. People are going to believe what they want to believe, and that's just that. I understand protesting what you believe in, go for it, but at least try to do it without making people sick to their stomach.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the pictures are TOOO much! I am all about free speech but that is just taking things too far. Today on campus there are elementary school students and I am ashamed that they have to see these pictures. I almost got sick when I saw them. Personally I am pro-choice only because I think it is up to the individual person, but they should modify the display if they want to be out in Sandford mall. Maybe flip the pictures inside the rectangle and people can walk in and see them if they wish. I just think it is wrong!!!

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 pm
All-star
All-star

First and foremost, abortion is NOT genocide. Genocide is directed toward a specific race or ethnic group with the intention of their complete extinction.

It really pisses me off how these people are comparing abortion to the Holocaust...I mean seriously? I actually heard from one of my teachers that a Holocaust survivor saw these pictures and was extremely upset with the comparision...which is completely understandable.

I agree with Kristi. I'm all about free speech and expressing your opinions, but this is totally the WRONG way to go about this.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with both of yall on all points. It is too much and could be sheltered more to those who wish to see them, especially since a lot of the pictures are what I would consider pretty graphic. Not really how I wanted to remember my last week of classes at ASU, I would rather see dogs catching frisbees and or people telling me to vote for Obama or Paul.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 pm
All-star
All-star

The use of the word genocide is what offends me the greatest about this display. I went up thinking "oh good someone trying to make a difference" and left completely pissed and sick to my stomach. This is, indeed a completely improper use of the term genocide and I can't believe anyone actually buys into it. I hope that people will actually look up the word genocide now and figure out what it is if they are so sheltered to not know. Just think about the lovely pro-life photographer that took these images. They took what they view as a human body, and played with the parts, placing them in gruesome positions for images. I am glad people are protesting this because no matter how you feel on the subject, what these people are doing is cheapening the deaths of countless victims of genocide, who need a resolution now. Apparently the holocaust survivor who was disappointed with this group was Elie Wiesel, by the way.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I was actually referring to a woman Holocaust survivor on our campus (whose name was not mentioned) that saw the pictures and became upset today...although I'm sure Elie Wiesel has (for good reason) expressed disappointment in this group.

And I totally agree with Jacob that comparing abortion to genocide cheapens the deaths of all victims of genocide. Genocide is a reality and it does not need to be used in the wrong context, which is what this group is doing.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone. I was completely devastated by what I saw. I can't believe that people would use this approach as a way to change peoples minds. Another thing that I just wanted to throw out there was that not only is this display not fair to the people who were victims of genocide but what about the unknown number of female students that are walking around campus having to live with a decision that they have made. I don't think it is fair for anyone who has decided to have an abortion to have to walk by such a grueling display like the one on campus. These people really need to rethink the way they are presenting this information.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:32 pm
All-star
All-star

That's a really good point Danielle. I hadn't even thought about what it must be like for a woman who has had an abortion to walk by these graphic pictures.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree with what everyone has been saying. Abortion is not genocide and I hate that that was the term they chose to use for their display. After getting over the sick feeling in my stomach, the first thing I thought about is exactly what Danielle said. I couldn't imagine what the females of our campus who have chosen to have an abortion must have thought and felt. Making a decision like that is life-changing and I am sure it is hard to get past, therefore images like those should not be shoved in their face as they are walking to class.

I feel like that display didn't change anyones mind on abortion. I personally do not like when people force their opinions on me and I am usually turned off by that completely. Also, many people know where they stand on that subject so a demonstration like that is uncalled for. I heard that these people also had a truck they drove around town that day with the same type display. I believe this is taking it a bit too far. Imagine having to explain those images to a young child!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with what everyone else has said about the images displayed on campus. They were uncalled for and sickening to see. After walking up on the display and realizing what the pictures were, I literally had to turn my head and look the other way as I passed them.

I work at Lucy Brock, the child care center on campus. Our playground is on the other side of the Mall, and we had to be extremely careful those day with were we went and allowed the children to play, to ensure that they would not be able to see the pictures.

And as someone has already stated, we have visitors on our campus daily, and having these pictures were everyone could see, could leave a bad impression of Appalachian in someones mind.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 pm
All-star
All-star

these pictures on sanford mall- you can't help but look at them. To me they were quite disturbing yet I found myself looking at them each time i walked by. It also strikes me as funny that there were so many people protesting the pictures and the people who were protesting those who were protesting. That is the thing about Boone- people don't hesitate to speak their mind....

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:15 pm
All-star
All-star

About what Jessica said, The Lucy Brock Child Care Center is on the other side of Sanford Mall and these kids regularly go out in that area to play. I don't mind people expressing their beliefs and opinions, but that may have been a bit much. But on the other hand maybe that is what they were going for?

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally felt that the pro-life people who set up the exhibit are jackasses. Abortion refers to one woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy, as to where the term genocide refers to the systematical killing of an entire group of people. I understand that they were going for shock factor, as extreme pro-lifers normally tend to do, but they took it too far. The fact that the school even let them set up the tent that made claims that abortion was genocide during the exact same time that there was a protest against a real genocide in Sudan was a poor choice on Ken's part.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it can be agreed that abortion is not genocide by the definition of genocide. However, the point of the images being displayed is to relate the relay the message that abortion is murder, plain and simple.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Thu May 01, 2008 12:05 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

The Abortion-Genocide display really got me thinking. I have always found abortion offensive and immoral in all regards. The more I learned about life and freedoms I changed my mind slightly. I still find abortion immoral, but I always recognize that it is not my place to tell a woman she cannot have one. Children have a right to life and women have a right to chose. Whose right is greater?

What took me off guard was how much offense people took from it. People saying it was inappropriate, vulgar, and should not have been allowed. While I did find it vulgar, there is nothing wrong with the display. I have found a lot of displays on campus vulgar, but its people’s right to do it. Free speech baby, it is a marvelous thing.

Comparing abortion to genocide, I do not find it that far of a stretch. Both are the legal systematic murder of life. Well, some people do not consider abortion murder, but that is why people say it is a bad comparison. Those who are against abortion consider it the destruction of a person. I am not saying I necessarily buy into the comparison, but the stretch is not as far some people would have you to believe.

Besides, isn’t the devaluing of human life one of the first steps to genocide? Any time a society devalues human life we run the risk of repeating past mistakes. Look at the stages of the Holocaust. Am I saying that the United States is going to fall into some genocide because of abortion? No, I am not. Just merely pointing out that any time we devalue human life we are running a risk. Devaluing human life on any level is almost an offense to the survivors of genocide.

While a woman has the right to chose, that choice should not come without hefty reflection and thought. You are devaluing human life by having an abortion. That is a consequence I think too few are recognizing.

Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I don't think abortion is genocide (it just doesn't fit the definition), but I can understand the point that the pro-life people were making.. because abortion is something that is fairly common in our country in which a specific population is targeted (unborn children). I really liked how Jeff said it was due to the "devaluing of human life," which is something that was true in cases of actual genocide as it is for abortion.

That being said, I am not against a woman's choice to decide whether or not to have a baby. There are just too many cases that fall into the gray area (rape, really young girls who get pregnant, times when it endangers the life of the mother, etc.). Whether or not to have an abortion is a hard decision, and I'm sure there aren't many women who treat it lightly.

Thu May 01, 2008 1:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with Kim and Brooke here!! The pictures are disguisting, but as Brooke said you can't help but to look at them whenever you pass by. Not only were these pictures up but there was also a large truck driving around town with a picture of an aborted fetus on the side of the truck. ON the back it said "CHOICE". Yes it is a choice for anyone who is in the situation, but with the disturbing picture on the side you can tell which side they are on. Did anyone else see this truck? But with all of the pictures on Sanford mall i don't think they should have been out in the open like that, but more sheltered and if people wantd to go and see it, they could. THEIR CHOICE!!

Thu May 01, 2008 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]