View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Whats the difference between right and wrong? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. It is a personal choice which of the two you choose to do. Sure soldiers are trained not to have feeling and to just carry out orders, but they still have that little voice inside saying that something doesn't feel right.

What is your opinion on whats right and whats wrong?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that soldiers still know what is right and wrong, but I don't think that is what solely affects their decision. Sure, the first thing that subconsciously comes to mind is probably: Is this right or wrong? But I think the question that ultimately affects the decision is: How will this affect me? I guess this just comes back to the idea that we are inherently selfish or taught to be obedient.

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else."
-Lee Iacocca

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really don't know that the military is the best example of something to use when trying to define right and wrong. I've talked to my dad, who was in the Army about this, and he has explained to me multiple times that the military is just something that you don't understand completely if you're not in it. We can think we understand the way soldiers are trained, the way they take orders, and the ways in which they carry them out but until one of us is in the military I don't think we can completely understand it. I do think this is one area that we think we know a lot about because of what we have heard from media over the years.

Maybe, I'm wrong, and the military is a good thing to look at when defining right and wrong, but because I am not part of it I am just a little unsure and think we should look at a different source that we have all experienced.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that we all like to think that we know the difference between right wrong, myself included. However, in situations like Mai Lai or the Milgram experiment it seems like right wrong becomes what can I do and get away with it and what can I do and not get get away with it. It makes you think am I capable of similar atrocities? I don't know, but if we can judge ourselves honestly then I think that we can take a step back from any situation and judge if we are doing right or wrong.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Cory I also think everyone knows what is right and what is wrong or rather what is accepted and what is not and generally we don't have a problem deciding between them. I think that the tragedy at Mai Lai and the Milgram experiment show what humans are capable of if we don't as individuals ask ourselves several questions. Is it right for me? Am I doing right by others? How do my actions affect everyone involved. It's is usually much better to think about these issues before we act rather than accessing the damage after the fact.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well said Lloyd, we can always see the damage after the hurricane, but never know exactly what will happen before the storm hits land. The same is true with your actions, which can be in the form of words or your body language. Hindsight is 20/20 which everyone knows, if we could only apply that before we act. If we actually thought things through and know the repercussions of our actions we would act a lot different, but this is what makes us human and we do make mistakes. You find out who you are if you can learn from these mistakes.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly think that we are born with the knowledge of what Right and Wrong are. I even think that we actually are aware of this knowledge starting at a very early age. I also believe that it is society that changes our perspectives of these easy concepts and alters our understanding of each. We learn from our parents, or guardians, or older siblings, or just older people in general. We learn their concepts of Right and Wrong, and this is what we stick to. If we see someone doing something, that we know is wrong, enough times, then this is something that we will end up thinking is right, because that person is doing it and not getting into trouble.
One example that I can think of is about abuse. This is my opinion and I am not saying that this always happens or anything like that... just my own opinion. If a young girl sees her mother being abused by her father and her mother never leaves and still loves her father and still protects him, then it is possible that the young girl will grow up thinking that that is the way life is suppose to be, and eventually stay in an abusive relationship, because she honestly thinks that she is suppose to stay and not say anything, because this was the kind of relationship her mother and father had, and her mother never left.

I could be completely off base here... but again... this is my own opinion... and I am sorry if I have made someone angry or anything like that...

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]