View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Has life been an endless series of opportunities? 

Opportunities...
Life has NOT been an endless series of opportunities for me. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Life has been an endless series of opportunities for me. 89%  89%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 18

Has life been an endless series of opportunities? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My parents are middle class, a tire salesman and a teacher, but I feel that I have never felt that I didn't have everything I needed. There was always enough of everything, but when I wanted something superficial, my parents drew the line. This was when I began to do things for myself. I took what I learned from my parents and how they did their best to make great opportunities for me, of which I seized every one that I could, and began to make opportunities for myself. I got a job at 16, starting putting money into a fund that was startd for me as an infant, and was able to travel to Europe for my graduation. I also have found Appalachian to be one of those opportunities that I found for myself. Most everything I did to begin here I needed help with because I am a dependent of my parents and couldn't sign papers, but contacting professors, auditioning for the school of music, and moving to a town where I know maybe 2 other people I did on my own. My parents taught me how to seek out endless opportuinities and them gave me the boost I needed to do it on my own.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I haven't read every post on this thread I have read a few and I have some similar feelings to those who feel that they've been blessed with endless opportunities. I would say I come from a middle class family; my dad works for the ESC of NC, my mom was a stay at home mom while we were small and she returned to teaching when I started school, and I'm the youngest of four kids. I've always had everything I have ever needed and I've gotten many things I wanted within reason. Like Justin and Kari said, my parents allowed me opportunities and things that would better myself but drew the line with superficial, life-clogging junk.

One of the biggest ways I have gotten the most opportunities is through learning which opportunities are important. My parents helped instill particularly sets of values which I have challenged in some respects especially in my college years. Most of my values are still in line with the way I grew up and have lead to the kinds of opportunities I seek. My family and best friends have always given me support and pushed me pursue that which I enjoy and which they think is good for me.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely say that I have had a life filled with endless opportunities, but I don't feel that this means that I have gotten everything that I want when I want it. I have still had to work hard to get out of life what I want. To go with this though, my parents have worked very hard for me to live a privileged lifestyle. Along with Kari my parents, even though they wanted to provide as much as they could for me, would not give into superficial items that were not necessities. Even though opportunities have been provided, I don't feel over protected. I feel that there are some people that aren't going to know what to do once they aren't under their parents care because their parents have provided so much for them. My parents still support me in many ways, but they have also let me go out into the world and find out how things work. For instance, I am still financially supported by my parents, but they don't give me endless amounts of money when I want/need it. I receive an allowance every two weeks and if that money runs out that's too bad. So even though they are providing that for me there is still a life lesson of how to budget. I have been very blessed to be able to live the lifestyle that I do and also to have the friends and family that surround me with support and encouragement.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like I have been privaleged thus far in my life. My parents have always provided everything that my brother and I have needed. My family is the typical middle class family, possibly up-middle, I dont really know what the scale is, but that does not mean that I have been given everything I've wanted. There have been a lot of things that I really wanted, or even thought I needed, but my mom and dad really knew better now that I look at it. In school, I have definately been given opportunities to better myself throughout my education career. I was blessed to have good and great teachers throughout most of my life; teachers who really enjoyed what they did for a living. I am able to admit in retrospect that I may have taken advantage of some teachers toward the end of high school, but I also feel like I gained a lot through the opportunities that were present. I have had a job since I was 13, working for my father's resturant, so I think I understand the value of money to a pretty good extent. If I wanted something really crazy that my parents didnt want to buy me, I was told I had to work and save for it. I do believe my life has been a long line of opportunities and I am very thankful for that.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that individuals who are considered 'upper class' tend to have more opportunities presented to them because of the connections that have been made for them long before they came to be. There is a lot of networking that goes on that people in other classes wouldn't have access to. People in a lower class won't be able to afford a $1,000/plate charity dinner and meet people who can get them somewhere in life.

In my own life I feel as though I've done pretty well with opportunities that have been presented to me. I don't feel as though I've had endless opportunities, but I also do not see that as a bad thing. I know that there is a reason I may not have been offered a job position or scholarship even though I was fully qualified. I feel as though other doors were opened in other areas that benefited me more in the long run. It is frustrating to know and see first hand how having money can greatly influence how far someone can get, but I like to know that I've done my best and when I am recognized and given opportunities because of it, it makes that so much more meaningful.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks to supportive parents and grandparents, yes my life has been full of opportunities. I have not always taken advantage of these opportunities or realize their importance now that I look back. I believe that many of these opportunities were available because of family support and motivation. I was always told that I had the ability and backing to do anything my heart desires and I believe that this notion has helped to create many opportunities. I remember my mom telling me that opportunity knocks most for those who apply themselves. While I must say that I have not always done so, on the occasions that I do I find that she is right. Telling yourself that the opportunity is their, even when it might not be, leads to confidence and confidence creates opportunity.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2