View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Politics of Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Educators seem very dissatisfied with the current government programs and policies for education, especially NO Child Left Behind. There are so many factors that play into these decisions and so many groups to please- teachers, parents, students, etc. If it was up to you to determine the national education program, what are some of the policies that you feel would be the most effective and important to put into place?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is important to have curriculum planned out to act as a guide for teachers. However, if I could have the "dream education system" I would allow teachers more freedom in how they teach the curriculum than they do now. I would also make the curriculum a little more loose so students and teachers aren't freaking out the first week of school about cramming everything in the school year.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Higher Pay For Teachers!! I think that the it is absurd that I will graduate with the potential of making less than a fast food manager (not being derogatory, just using an example). We, as teachers, are expected to be highly qualified and trained but are not payed accordingly. I believe that this dilemma could be somewhat solved by reducing some of our government's useless spending. I believe that educational funding (and therefore teachers' pay scale) should be heightened while programs such as NASA and the United States Botanical Gardens should be cut all tobether (yes our federal tax dollars support an immense botanical garden). The more we spend on education the more we can expect from each citizen. Incentive also breeds success and higher pay for highly qualified educators would offer a ton of incentive.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In response to Corey's statement about useless government spending that should be cut in order to redirect funds back into education, what about the military? I have great respect for out military but the fact is that absurd amounts of money have been put towards our military and more specifically towards the war in Iraq. Even using a portion of those funds towards education could have a drastic impact.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There should be something that considers all parties involved. There should be a curriculum which caters to both students and teachers. It should be something that guides and aides teachers in instructing students. Students should also not be tested to death and actually be presented with usable information. I think that there does need to be some sort of structured plan. Without structure, the world would not function.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Justin completely! I think its a matter of somehow finding a balance and one that will not necessarily please everyone but that will benefit teachers, students and the society as a whole. Our current system does rely far too much on tests to measure students' understanding. I don't know enough about the school systems to be able to say what a good legislation would look like, but I do know that ideally it would be formed from ideas given by people who have actually been apart of the school system (no going to school as a K-12 student doesn't count) so that the product achieved is reinforced by more than statistical test scores.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]