View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Obama and McCain on Education 

Is eduaction being adressed enough on the national level?
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 4

Obama and McCain on Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After watching all of the presidential debates and many interviews and all, I thought it was pertinent and important for us to think of education on the national level and how the federal government is taking a role. In the debates, we are hearing about education and seeing how that it's our field, as future teachers and as citizens, it matters a lot to us.

Let me preface first though; I am not trying to start a thread for people to argue over political choices. I hope it stays just on the subject of education.

In the last debate, Barack Obama talked about his idea for community service in exchange for money for college. For anyone who isn't familiar with it- basically students who perform community service, 100 hours minimum a year get $4000 a year for college. If you do the math, that's 40 bucks an hour. And, the community service can be military service, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or local service. I am not sure how it would work exactly but I thought that sounded awesome. Students would be giving back to their community while learning more about the community's organizations and needs. Meanwhile the money the received would help them achieve an education which allows them to give back in different ways. Further, college educated individuals typically have higher earnings than non college grads. Thus, more people would have degrees in turn making more money which would help bring in more tax money to hopefully pay off some of our nation's debt and fund other programs.

We talked in class about the unfairness that the burden of money places on youth who want to go to college. This certainly is not the only answer but it is one answer. I wanted to see what other people's reactions to this idea were as well as Barack and McCain's other ideas about education.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:16 pm
All-star
All-star

While watching the debate the other night I also found myself loving Obama's education plan. To me the student is paid not only in dollars but in satisfaction for the work they are doing for their community. Students come out of college with less debt and are able to immediately begin stimulating the economy instead of using their paycheck to repay loans. This idea to me sounds so much better than McCain's alternative, which is more accessible loans. I think that most students would be more willing to put in a little effort during college to earn aid, than knowing they are already in debt before they ever start their "real life." I heard someone talking the other day about how college students have a mortgage before they ever buy a house because some graduate with so much loan debt. It's crazy, and when you think about it, it really is true. It also unfortuantely deters many smart people from going to college. I saw an estimation that between 2001 and 2010 2 million academically qualified students will not go to college because of their financial situation.
I also like Obama's plan for recruiting teachers with Teacher Service Scholarships, his plan to give teachers paid "common planning time" to collaborate with collegues and share their best practices, and to reward mentor teachers and those who work in underserved areas (rural or urban) as well as those who consistently excel.
As far as McCain's policies go I'm torn. I don't know what I think of him extending the voucher program. In one way I feel like it makes schools less accountable...if students can just leave whenever, those school will not get the funding they may need to make the necessary improvements. On the other hand I guess it would make parents feel better about having a choice. I knowt that I do not agree with his plan to expand the D.C Opportunity Scholarship. I think it is a wonderful program, but I believe if we are going to offer this type of program in ONE area, that is a pretty narrow group of students being reached. I do agree with his theory on allowing school principals to decide where their money should be spent. I believe that principals are...for the most part the people who see most clearly what individual schools need. I don't know how I feel about his plan to give individuals who transfer into teaching from other professions incentives. To me this goes against the "highly qualified teachers" movement and rewards those who didn't go to school for education for doing the job WE went spent 4 years in college for. This money should be more focused on recruiting teachers from those who have not decided on a career path and are just starting or are still attending college. Finally, I like his idea of rewarding teachers who locate in underperforming schools and demonstrate their leadership. This will be measured in their students performance and therefore the teachers who are most effective will be rewarded.
The other topics I feel like the candidates are pretty similar on. I've tried to say what I feel positively and negatively about with both candidate, as to get my point across. I believe both candidates have some strong ideas and as future educators looking at these plans is very important. I hope this all made sense.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The question was whether the issue of education is being addressed enough at the national level. I believe that both candidates have put forth plans which they believe will better the national education infrastructure (I believe Obama's plans are better and more realistic, but I will stay away from that issue). With that said, however, I do not believe that the issue is being addressed enough when it comes to the debates, campaign trail, and/or by the talking heads of the media. I recently read an article which called the debate a "horse race", saying that all the people of America are worried about is who's winning, and who eventually wins. This is saying that they are not really worried about the basic issues which need to be fixed to change the problems we have. I believe a lot of our problems start with the lack of importance we place on education, especially in the fields of math and science. The politician like to focus most of their time talking about the economy, wars, and health care, but the way I see it, a lot of the problems we have in these areas stem from a lack of education for our youth. That is why I believe they should address bettering education more than any of the issues. It will never happen, but that's my opinion.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'll be honest, I haven't done a huge amount of research on either candidate - especially when it comes to their beliefs on education. However, I have seen a few debates and read 2 or 3 articles about each candidate and I don't think education has been a huge focus for either candidate. Looking back at the past elections (that I've been alive for) education was never a huge issue that I can remember. However, this does not surprise me at all. It seems like all the other issues that the candidates are discussing/arguing about have been deemed "more important" by America. Therefore, education gets put on the back burner. I'm guessing that no matter who is elected, we're just going to have to wait and see what happens - whether its what they are suggesting now or something completely different.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am like April, I haven't done very much research on the candidates either, especially what their thoughts are about education and the school systems. I'm glad people have posted their thoughts and comments about this because it helps me realize what is happening with McCain and Obama. The 100 minimum hours of community service a year to get $4000 a year for college sounds great! This would really help struggling families, financially. I doubt everyone would take advantage of it but at least it would be out there for people to have access to. I think a lot of students would use this community service opportunity and when they did, it would make them feel better about themselves because they are helping their community.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 am
All-star
All-star

Since I'm reading that several of you are unsure about the candidates beliefs on education, I've posted links to their education policies below. Hope this helps...

John McCain:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Iss ... 985bca.htm

Barack Obama:

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/index.php

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks, Erin, for posting those links for each of the candidates and their stands on education. I'll have to say I was drawn more towards Obama's stance, especially since he addressed teachers specifically and his goal of keeping teachers instead of losing them after the first few years on the job. I really liked the idea of giving teachers paid common planning time to work together and share ideas with each other. That would serve as such an encouragement and remind us as teachers that we're not in this alone and we can help each other. We should definitely already be doing that, and I have loved my classes so far that have pushed us to share our ideas with each other and to swap lesson plans to get different ideas.

I know its a lot to read through, but if you were unsure of the views of each candidate, the links Erin posted are definitely worth looking at. I mean, it addresses our profession!

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I find it interesting where McCain's page says "He finds it beyond hypocritical that many of those who would refuse to allow public school parents to choose their child's school would never agree to force their own children into a school that did not work or was unsafe." This is very true and I don't think it would be fair for a parent to be required to keep a child in a school system if it was not in his/her best interest. I also like that he (maybe not "he" but his webpage writers) points out the fact that many people who would say his allowance of the parents' choice is wrong do so themselves. I also like how he points out that all children will have to "compete" with their peers at some point or another in their life. I do not necessarily like the word "compete," but this is very true. They will have to find jobs that other people want, they will have to buy a house that other people want, etc. I am not saying I like or dislike this about our country, I am simply pointing it out. If we baby our students and make them think that they don't have to try hard to get results, we are doing them a disservice. This may teach them that someone is going to do everything for them and they won't have to work for what they get. (For the record, I am NOT saying that this is Obama's plan. If I alluded to that at all, I apologize.)

As for Obama's community service plan... I think it is a GREAT idea. However, just like standards, accountability and all that fun stuff, who decides what counts as viable community service? Who checks everyone's community service record to make sure they REALLY did the work? Where does the money come from; and after giving a student a well deserved $16,000, are we sure they are going to use that money to get a job that will in turn stimulate the economy? These are just a few questions that I would have. I am not criticizing the plan at all, only wondering what you guys think about those things.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]