View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Energizers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class on Thursday, we were talking about students who could not sit still and what we would do to help them and to cause the least distraction to the other students. In my Health Education class, we have been talking about something called Energizers. These are short activities for the whole class that gets them moving and most also have an integrated academic topic. I believe that these Energizers could help all of the students and maybe help some of the "restless" students get some energy out and allow them to focus better because they are not having to sit still all the time. What do you guys think? Do you plan to encorporate some form of movement activity in your classroom each day? These Energizers are only for elementary education, but what do the middle school and high school teachers think about having something similar in their classrooms?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that energizers are a great way of helping your entire class get some wiggles out and be able to focus better, especially if you're finishing up a frustrating topic for many students (math, reading, etc.) It would be helpful for them to be able to get some movement and refocus rather than dwell on whatever they weren't getting during the lesson. As for helping with fidgety students, something like energizers will help briefly but if they are truly ADD or ADHD the urge to move isn't going to go away after a two minute game. I think that energizers are good for all elementary students and can be helpful for them to physically interact with concepts through a silly game or movements. I do think that when dealing with students who have the urge to always be moving there must be other outlets put in place for them to get rid of pent up energy and urges to move. With middle or high school students stretch breaks would do the same thing as energizers do for elementary aged students. Just give them a time for standing up shaking off their frustrations, stretching and then being ready to start learning again.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really like the energizers. If I were a regular classroom teacher I would definitely incorperate them into my daily routine. We had a clinic on energizers and a lot of them you could incorperate with any other subject as well. They are great way to get kids up and moving and also helping them to meet their daily recommended amount of physical activity.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:31 pm
Site Admin

Remember my koosh ball? I always had one in my desk drawer, and would have some activity at least once a week where I threw it, or the students threw it. It can be kind of a "talking stick" (no koosh ball, no talking!)

Teaching world history I regularly had kids standing on chairs, in corners, on the floor... This doesn't mean they never sat there in their desks, they did, but even in high school it's up to us to mix things up so the students get to move.

(I should do it more in college! I don't get you al moving enough.)

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Those are really good ideas for those distracted and restless learners. Throughout my many educational classes I have learned many different variations to help kids stay involved and focused within the classroom lessons while still being active in their own non disruptive way. Another great option to use with those jittery kids would be to have them have a stress ball at their desks. Because they serve the same purpose of getting out the energy, but in a subtle way that doesn't distract or take away from the overall teaching atmosphere. I will definitely use this technique within my classroom for those students who need that little extra consideration in order to be engaged during my lessons.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everything that has been said. I definitely think this sort of thing is extremely useful for not just the jittery students, but for everyone. I am going to teach high school history and I certainly want to intersperse the class with varying interactive activities. I am curious Gayle if you had any more suggestions for this sort of thing from your high school history classes?

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]