View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Who is in control, the teacher or principal? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If a child is acting out in class and is not listening how would you instinctively handle the situation? Would you do your best to deal with it yourself, even though that would take away from your instructional time which could affect other student's learning? OR Would you not want to bother with the discipline and send the child to the principal?

Personally, I would try to deal with the disorderly child myself because if you let the principal handle your problems then the students can tell that you have no authority in your classroom. This would result in more children acting up and if you keep sending kids to the principal he/she will eventually think you are incapable of running your own classroom. I wouldn't want my principal to think such a thing about me.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I will definitely figure out ways of dealing with disciple conflicts in my own classroom rather than sending students to the principals' office. I do think that theres a time and place that does require a students to automatically be sent to the principal, if they're going to hurt themselves or someone else. After spending a couple of weeks working with my sister's 4th graders at a school in Winston I learned that the whole "school" picture that we are taught to have in our heads doesn't always exist. At her school if you sent a student to the principal all that happened was they were told to not do it again, and then sent back to class. The principals were overwhelmed with a large population of unruly students and often times would have close to 20 sent to the principals' office at all once. Theres no way for them to deal with that many different students at the same time so they just started not dealing with them much at all. Then I began to realize how vital it was for the teacher, who is responsible for the students in their class, to take control and monitor behavior of their students. I know there will be times that my first reaction is to send a student just out of my classroom, anywhere, because my patience has run out but I plan to try and overcome that and still deal with it the best I can on my own with the advice of my peer teachers.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too feel that we the teachers should try to handle the problem. We should take every step possible to handle the situation as best as possible. If we get into the routine of sending the kids to the principal, not only do the kids start to not take you seriously, but the principal and other administrators start to question whether or not you can really handle the issues presented in the classroom.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You all have brought up a lot of great points. I totally agree that we as teachers need to handle our own biznass instead of handing off the responsibility to another as Katie has already talked about. By doing this I also think that we can develop more personal and powerful relationships with our students, especially the ones that are being reprimanded. If you can balance a friendly and interactive relationship with students with the authority position as a teacher where you garner respect from students, then I think that this is a part of what it means to be an exceptional teacher.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that if you send the student to the principal that you have just given them exactly what they want and you have also implied that the principal has more power than you. At the same time you are telling the student either that 1) you don't want to deal with them, you don't care about them and you don't want to help them through their issue or 2)that they have won the battle and everytime they want something that is all they have to do to get you to surrender. It might take time to deal with the student when you look at just that day but if on the first day that the student acts out you take the time to talk to them and fix the problem then you probably won't have many instances like that the rest of the year so really you will be saving time because you won't have to take the time every couple days to send them to the principal.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]