View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Tears in the Classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In high school I had a teacher that was in her first year teaching as I was entering as a freshman. Many times people would say or do things that would upset her to the point of tears. This particular teacher was very tender hearted and this went on throughout my high school career. Not having very thick skin myself, this is a concern of mine. I'm one that will hide myself if I get emotional, but I'm smart enough to know that I can't run out of my own classroom if I start to get upset! What would you guys do?

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well maria, I'm not sure if i'm the best berson to respond to this question because I have always been an unwavering supporter of being mindful of your emotions at all times. It isn't easy, but you can control outwardly how you respond emotionally to things. My ability to do this has helped me considerably both in the classroom and in the military. As a teacher, you are expected to be a rock. You can be nice, caring, and approachable, but you are also the unquestioning authoritarian of that classroom and you have to appear in control at ALL times. You Cannot show weakness or allow the stuents to see you as less than that. They have to trust you and know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you are superior to them or they simply won't listen to you or take you seriously. I believe the assistant principle on the TV show Boston Public summed it up the best when he was confronting a faculty member for being too emotional. He said "You're a teacher, cry at night!"

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]