View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Twins 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey everone. After speaking out in class about having an identical twin. I was curious to find out what everyone thought or what they were taught about identical twins or twins in general. I know in classes like psychology they make it out to seem like we should be exactly alike. I was always that one student that disagreed with everything my teachers said. I am living proof that we are not a like, just because our DNA is the same. So I am just curious what others thoughts are on the subject or what their teachers have told them.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Until high school, I had never really been around twins. But in high school I met many sets of twins, and decided that it was a lot easier to tell twins apart by their personality (concerning identical twins). I think that even if there are twins in the classroom they shouldn't be treated any differently. Just because they might look exactly alike doesn't mean that they ARE exactly alike. I'm sure it's easy to associate them together and what they do as one person because they will be extremely close, but we'll have to remember that one set of twins is actually two people.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I have had many classes that seem to teach that identical twim no matter what evnvironment they are raised in should be exactly alike too. I know this is not ture because I have two sets of friends that are both identical twins and are raised in the same environment and are nothing alike. I also know a set of identical twins that do not live together and are not alike either! I feel that it is strickly one's make up of their body when it comes to how alike or un-alike identical twins are.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

I have also had classes that had taught that identical twins were exactly alike, not only in looks but in personality and other traits. I have been around many sets of fraternal twins but I can't think of any identical twins that I have been around. It's pretty obvious with fraternal twins that they are very different but it's good to hear and know from someone who has experienced it first hand that this is simply not true even for identical twins. If I ever have identical twins in my classroom, I will be sure to treat them as individuals.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have friends that are identical twins that I have know since elementary school and like everyone else has said they are nothing alike. Although they were treated the same in the their classes and I agree with Leslie that if I have a set of twins in my classroom I will also treat them as individuals and not as if they were the same person just because they look alike.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have known twins that were inseperable because they had similar personalities and then i have know twins that did want anything to do with each other because they were so different. It is strange how people change as they grow up. It is impossible to put a certain stereotype over a group of people such as twins just because they are alike in one or two areas.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dated an identical twin once and he was nothing like his twin. All through school the teachers tried to treat them the same and the teachers thought that the twins were on the same level in everything (reading, math, etc.), but they weren't. Once they got to high school the one I had dated passed his classes and moved along with his education and the other one started failing his classes and just gave up. One graduated and the other ended up dropping out. The teachers were just amazed that they were identical twins and one completed high school and the other one stopped trying and dropped out. I think if a little more effort to help the one that was struggling would have happened then he wouldn't have dropped out. The teachers thought that since one was making good grades that the other was too and that they shouldn't be worrying about him. That was not the case.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Alicia, I don't think that identical twins really are the same. I went through school with a couple different sets of twins and for the most part, they were completely different. In elementary school, they didn't seem like twins at all. One of them was a brilliant kid who struggled with the social aspect of life, while the other was a very social person, but wasn't the smartest person in the class.

I went through high school with a set of twin girls. They had the same friend circle, and on the outside they seemed the same, but if you knew them personally, they were different in so many ways. It was always the little things that separated them.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree with what everyone else has said about twins and their experiences. I feel like in psychology classes and other when twins were brought up, it was made to seem like they were exactly the same in every case. I too, had several sets of twins in my graduating class and got to know both of them, and each of them were different, with different interests, hobbies, personalities, etc even though they were brought up in the same environment.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to have to agree with the group that says twins are totally different. My best friend growing up dated this set of twins (one at a time) and with the first one he had a very rocky relationship that didn't last too long. He dated the second for nearly a year and they were pretty serious. I personally didn't get along with the second one, but the first one was a completely different person and we got along great. Last I heard one is in college going for a four year degree and the other is basically living in a van down by the river.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Like most people have said, I agree that identical twins can be totally different. My middle and high school had a lot of sets of twins and most of them were not alike at all. Usually there were similarities but they definitely had different personalities. I also had a set of identical twins as campers at the camp I work at one summer that were very alike. They stuck together and liked and disliked the same things and had basically the same personality traits. I think it just depends on the people and that identical twins can be alike but they don't have to be.
In most of my classes I have had that dealt with the topic of twins, I have been taught that they are usually very similar. I think that that can be true, but it doesn't have to be in all cases.
Overall, if I have a set of identical twins in my classroom I will treat them as individual students and not make assumptions about how they should act or be similar.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that perhaps a different context to look at this through is brother/sister combo's. I have been fortunate to know quite a few twins and I believe it depends on a lot more than just how alike they look and so on. Take for example a sibling pair that is closely linked in age or perhaps step-children that have grown up together. For all intents and purposes, they can be much alike or on the flip side, very much different from each other. They may have a lot of physical features a like or not. While twins get a particular stereotype on they subject, I think that it can go much deeper than that.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've started my practicum and in my class there is a set of twins. In the past I've been close with many sets of twins and know that they are completely different, however, they are still siblings. If I were to have twins in my class, I would treat them as the different people they are. My problem is, the sibling rivalry. I'm not sure how to control them competing and always trying to be better than one another. Also, I knew a set of twins that seemed to always be getting labeled. One was the math student, one the reading, or one was athletic and the other smart. To me, labeling any student isn't good but to label siblings just adds fuel to their already flaming fire.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 am
All-star
All-star

Like Katie Gray said, I have also had classes that made twins sound like they were exactly the same. When I was in school, the only twins that I knew were fraternal (and one boy one girl) so they weren't really thought of as "twins" I guess because to everyone else they were obviously different. It seems like its easier to think that identical twins would think they same because they look the same! Like everyone else has said, I think that it is important to make the children feel like they are individuals in the classroom. I completely agree with what Katelyn has said too about labeling the siblings. Even when they are not twins and even in different grade levels I feel like this happens way too often.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with what everyone has said so far. Everyone thinks that twins must be just alike and look alike but i know that isn't true. I have friends that are twins and they are completely different. They are just like brother and sister really. I think people think that you must be exactly the same and look the same but that isn't the case. One thing i have always found interesting that teachers have talked about is the way twins have this sense about the other one. They know when they are in trouble or hurt. I always wondered if this was true?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I live with a set of identical twins and my boyfriend is a fraternal twin. Neither set is alike at all. My roommates are complete opposites-one is fairly girly and the other is a tomboy. My boyfriend and his twin are very different as well. I think it is important to see the differences in twins. They are treated the same all their lives. They know they are different, and they feel different, but not many people treat them that way. It is important for us as teachers to make sure that we realize the individuality in any twins that we may teach.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]