View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 All the same, all equal? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During class, we talked about if there is a difference between "we are all the same" and "we are all equal". I don't agree with the phrase "we are all the same" because I think that everyone is different and that is what makes him/her unique. I think that everyone should be treated equally but I don't see that in today's society. So, what do all of you think about these two phrases?

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

True, we are not all the same. There are differences that are easily seen between people, so I also agree that no one is the same. I think that striving towards making everyone equal is a good goal. But it will always be impossible for everyone to become equal. Our society will always have someone on the top and on the bottom. But that does not mean that we cannot try to make everything as equal as possible.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 am
All-star
All-star

At first at had to think about this term hard because i did not really understand the differences or the similarities in these two statements, but know I realized that being the same and equal are two differeent things. i feel that being the same is by body make up and then yes we are mostly the same, but with equal i feel that they are talking about oppurtunities and here no i do not feel that we have equal opportunities.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Kyle and Jennifer when they said that we are not the same. Every one has different qualities and different goals in life and etc. But I also agree that everyone being equal is a good goal to try and reach but I feel like that is impossible in today's society.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:07 am
All-star
All-star

I thought it was interesting that in class we talked about the statement "We are all the same" being both true and false. I agree with what someone was saying in class about how we could all be the same in the sense that we are all made to operate the same. We all have DNA, feelings, minds and physical bodies. I also agree though with other people on this blog who said that the statement is false. I agree that we are all very different in each of the things that we have that are similar. We have different DNA's, different feelings, different ways of thinking and different bodies. I think that the objective is for us all to be equal but I think that we are not all equal. Especially in teaching, we have to all strive to give equal opportunities to our students even if these opportunities aren't the same but I don't think everyone will ever be treated exactly equally.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we are not all the same. We were all created differently. If we were all the same we would look the same and act the same. Everyone has different goals for their life. I feel like the phrase "we are all equal" has such a broad definition, as well as many definitions. Some people might consider it as meaning we are all the same, which isn't true. Others may see it as meaning we have equal opportunities. In today's world we don't have equal opportunities. Some places still discriminate against blacks and some still discriminate against females. I don't feel like we will all ever be treated as equals because that is just the way everyone has been brought up.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that we are all the same as in we are all human beings, but we are not the same in experience, personality, and aspirations in life. We are not all equal either, we are not all treated the same therefore it is not equal. We can't be equal if we are all different because equality might mean something different to each person. I agree with everyone that said that being equal won't ever happen. We will never be the same and we will never be equal and that is what makes the world the crazy, interesting place it is today.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with ya'll about yes we are not the same in that we all have different lives and experiences but we are all fundamentally human. To quote William Shakespeare, "If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?" In that way we are the same.
I do however believe the right to be equal even though in reality we are not TREATED equal. That's the difference. We are all equal just not treated such.
I mean aren't we taught as Americans to believe in equality? "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." I have to say that I believe in this statement. I know that we, as a nation, have come along way since this was first written. We have to fight for the treatment of equality. As Dr. Martin Luther King once said, "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the other posts in saying that I do not agree with the statement that everyone is equal. Not everyone goes through the same things or same life experiences. Every person does not have the same personality either. I also agree with whoever said that it is a wonderful goal to strive to achieve...that everyone be treated equally as in given fair chances to experience the same things, or in job searching.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When thinking about these two statements I have some things that automatically come to mind. How can we say we are all the same when they tell us that we are all different. We are suppose to celebrate our diversity, but that statement is telling us we are all the same. I do not agree with it. I think we are all different and unique in our own way like other people have said. I guess in ways we are all the same for example we are all human or we all have DNA. Considering the other statement that we are all equal, I would like to think we are all equal. Thats what our ogovernment is run on that we are all equal, but I really do not think it is true at all. No matter how much we try to promote equality most of the time someone is left out. I don't even know where the United States would begin or accomplish everyone being equal. Maybe one day though?

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we are all the same, we are all equal are two very different statements. I believe we should all be treated equally but in no way are two people the same. Every person is unique and different in their own ways, that's what makes this world enjoyable and sometimes difficult to live in. We should try always to be treated equally but it is human nature that this does not always occur.

Casey Gill

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't at all think we are all the same, because everyone is obviously unique. I do think that we are equal, but that truth is lost upon reality. The way society is set up here and in other places in the world, some lives are valued over others. Your life and my life are definitely valued more by society than for example the life of a homeless person. If what I'm saying is false, then they probably wouldn't be homeless. The same is true in regards to criminals, the elderly, the mentally ill and many others.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, the points brought up in this discussion are pretty good and I agree with the "We're not the same, but we should be equal". But here's some food for thought...In our society we tend to highly value individualism and uniqueness, so much so that we all want to be individualists which in a way makes us the same. Also, we tend to lean towards conformism at certain stages of our life, mainly high school, and that makes us all try to be the same event though we can't possibly all be alike. I think we're all very different, but should afford the same opportunities.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that everyone is not all the same, because we are all very different. However, the expression, we are all equal bothers me. Many times, throughout the discussion of these phrases, people have said that we're not the same but should be treated equal. This is something I agree with. I don't think that in every aspect that we are all equal. Some people are smarter, some prettier, some more athletic. Everything depends on our genetics and the choices we make. So no I don't think we are all equal but despite our differences I think that we should all be treated equally.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel as if I might be going in the wrong direction on this discussion but I'm going to state it anyway. I see what you all are saying about not all being the same and in that context, you are all correct. However, I think there is another context that we a re leaving out that perhaps could use a little time too. In my belief, we are all the same. Sure we all want to believe that we have very little in common with that weird dude sitting next to us listening to some crazy music but in reality, he is the same. The first question I want to pose is what makes one person different from another? If a group of people are all asked how they would handle a situation, there are not usually a wide variety of answers given. They way the answers are worded may be different but for the most part, many of the answers are the same. Now put all those people into a room and ask the same question. How many of them are willing to have different answers than the rest? I think that the biggest problem with equality is that so many people believe that one person is so different than another. If a difference is inferred between two people, of course there is going to be sides taken; and if enough differences are their, their might be favoritism towards one side and the other will be seen as "inferior" not because they are, but because they are not seen as "the same." While I do believe a person can never deal with two problems the same, it's not because two people are so much different as it is that the situation of the problems are different. I guess to sum all this up, people are percieved as different and that is the reason their is a problem with equality when in reality, people have more in common than usually "meets the eye!!!!"

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]