View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Nature vs. Nuture - Which Side Are you On? 
All-star
All-star

After talking about it in class, I was just wondering what the majority of you guys think about IQ and if you think nature or nurture has more effect on a person's IQ.

For the most part I agree with what Dr. Turner was saying today about it having a lot to do with nurture. I'm not saying that nature doesn't play a role at all, but it just made a lot of sense to me that nurture can definitely have an impact on IQ.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think people take IQ to far and it really does follow you for the rest of your life. We usually think higher of people with higher IQs when we should not do that at all.

When it comes to nature vs. nuture. I think it really comes down to both effecting IQ or intelligent. The biggest problem I have with that is people always bring up twins. I am an identical twin but that doesn't make me excatly like my twin. We may have the same DNA, but we don't go to the same school, we dont' have the same major, or anything like that.

I also agree for the most part with DR. Turner and what she said in class.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my ed. psyc class we talked a LOT about IQ. I'd never really thought about IQ before, but after that class, I sure did. We learned about the whole scale, and what the numbers really meant. I found it interesting that the IQ test, similar to the test we looked at in class, was really geared towards a specific class. Intelligent, white males had made the test, and based it on what they thought smart people should know, like they knew. Dr Hatch taught us that theres no such thing as a perfect IQ test, and that makes sense. In order to test every possible area that a person could be really terrific at would be impossible or ridiculously long. Your IQ score is really just an average of a couple tests that seemed to kinda skim the surface of specific areas. I think that IQ scores can be used to place kids in special programs, but only if thats coupled with something else. I also think that too much importance is sometimes placed on your IQ level, even if you don't know it. Every other pop-up ad seems to be asking you if you'd like to take this IQ test to see if you can score higher than Jessica Simpson or Paris Hilton. Its crazy.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:14 am
All-star
All-star

I feel like when it come to children and learning that nature AND nurture have everything to do with their education and abilities. I feel that nature is important because the environment, like their home life, that one grows up in can affect a child's learning alot. I also feel that nurture affects a child's learning because this aspect can help of hinder one's learning abilities as well. This is a hard topic to talk about without talking about the other because I believe that they are so closely related and have an equally amount of affect on a child's ability to preform in school and learn to their greatest ability.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that both nature and nurture can affect a person's IQ, personality, etc. Everyone is born with genetic dispositions and physical characteristics that influence how they will interact with their environment, but that environment still influences how they are shaped. The two really walk hand in hand and make quite a couple.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with Dr. Turner's view on nature vs. nurture. I do believe that the better a child is taught and given more challenging activities, they are more likely to have a better IQ. If you are born with really smart parents but they never try to help you gain a better education or succeed then how would it be possible for you to have a high IQ, unless you have been shown and taught to the best level you know possible. I think it is important to make sure a child receives the best education they possibly can, regardless on how smart their parents are they will still have achieved their highest IQ.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I strongly believe that nature has the biggest influence in someones IQ. They could be clinically handicapp and just because they live in a nice house and have a great environment, that will not raise their IQ score. People over time can improve their abilities and knowledge but the strengths and weaknesses that you are born with have the biggest influence over all.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that both nature and nurture play a role. I have a hard time deciding between the two because I think they are both equally important. I think that the way a person is raised affects the child just as much as genetics. Thus, I can't decide which one has the bigger influence because I think that both nature and nurture play an important role in a person's life.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember in classes there was always this big distinction between nature vs nurture. I don't really remember a teacher saying that you could have both or that they are all inter-twinned in who we are. I believe both have a huge part in IQ and anything else dealing with us as human beings.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I pretty much agree with the idea that one side or the other is taught rather than intermingling the two. Nurture is probably the most important in my eyes, as I was raised to think higher and do more mentally, but also nature is crucial mostly due to environment. I think that if a wealthy child is nurtured, he can be intelligent; if a poor child is nurtured, he too can be just as intelligent. But anyone in these respective situations without the nurture part could be doomed to fail as they've had no encouragement to learn anything other than their surroundings.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 pm
All-star
All-star

To me nature and nurture are both important because genetics determine what you have (mentally and physically) and your environment can either encourage or hinder development. I do not really see one as dramatically outweighing the other, but I think that it is really important for us to provide a classroom that will encourage children to explore and use the assets that they were given. It is a difficult question to answer and I know that many people lean to one side or the other. I used to believe that it was all about nurture, but after taking my psychology classes I can see the value in nature as well.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think like it seems a lot of other posts on this forum do that both Nature and Nurture play a role in a persons IQ. The one thing I have to mention first is that I believe that any individual can overcome a bad situation to a degree with either or both working against them just as someone who perhaps grows up with two acedemic parents who are well to do can turn out to be as dumb as a bag of rocks. But playing with averages, I think that if a person grows up in a particular area, many times, what they know is what is presented to them in that context. likley, if a young child is read to every night before bed and given help when they go to school from the home, they are going to have a huge advantage comparitavly to the students who's parents are iliterate and work two and three jobs to support their family. So in the end, I believe both play a role, but neither are definitive definitions of an end result.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To me, at first it has to deal with nature. Certain people will understand certain things at different levels no matter how much they are worked with. However, two people with the same natural IQ should have the same chance at obtaining the same IQ. If one of these people is nurtured more then naturally they will obtain the higher IQ. Each student should be nurtured just as much as the next student, however, depending on their natural IQ level, the way they are nurtured should be different. For example, if you were tutoring a 1st grader and a 5th grader you wouldn't spend less time with the 1st grade just because they have a lower IQ, you would just approach them differently. This should be the same with when teaching a below level student and an above level student.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to say that honestly, not to sound stupid, but I really never understood the Nature vs. Nurture arguement. I would say though that after this class I really began to think about it and have looked at a few different articles. I think that I would really agree with Dr. Turner on the matter that Nurture really plays the major role in people's IQs. I would say that Nature does play some what of a role. I think that people naturally have a certain level of IQ, but depending on how their learning/knowledge is developed over their years in school and how they are Nurtured will help determine how high their total IQ will be. I look at me and my sisters and at my cousin when I think about this. Even though we all had similar home experiences our teachers and how they taught us changed our knowledge bases to develop one of us to become an extreme intelligent that had a hard time being challenged in school and another one of us who struggled in school.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a lot of things about IQ are dumb. I don't like the idea of testing and ranking people in certain categories because of their IQ score. And one thing that I really have a hard time understanding is this idea that one's IQ score will never change. That doesn't make sense to me? People get smarter. Their perspectives and knowledge of certain things change. How do their IQ scores stay the same. But about the main topic at hand, I do think its more of nurture. How often your parents read to you and work with you, what kinds of teachers you have, the kind of schooling you get- these things I feel like would affect IQ. But if your score can never change, how do these things affect it?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]