View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 ASU and Transgender Students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After yesterday’s discussion, I was left wondering what our university does to accommodate transgender students. I’d like to think that more public schools, businesses, etc. are becoming more ‘transgender friendly’ given the increase in the transgender population. Luckily, I found an interesting article on ASU’s website that was posted last September and addresses the topic of transgenders in general as well as what our school is doing to make our campus more inclusive. This article also answers a lot of questions that may have come up after watching the documentary in class. I pasted the article below if you're interested in reading it. Do you think our school is doing enough? Are you surprised that our school is already so aware of the transgender community?

Transgendered Students

What is it to be transgendered? The American Psychological Association (2008) defines transgendered as an “umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (their sense of themselves as male or female) ... differs from that usually associated with their birth sex.â€

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for putting this up, Maggie. I honestly didn't know that ASU had taken any steps toward making it a better environment for transgendered students, other than the fact that there is a student organization. I thought it was really cool that the communication disorders department provides voice lessons, so they can express themselves the way they want too. I hadn't actually thought about the single person bathrooms before and I don't remember the gender-neutral identification, but both are good ideas. I think I've only seen one single person bathroom on campus though. It seems like it should be more widespread. I think it's great that the article gives some ideas to faculty on how to make them feel more included in the classroom. I think this is a topic that needs a lot more exposure. The transgendered population is growing everyday and it is yet another form of diversity many people don't know much about. Information is one of the biggest keys to understanding and respect.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Appalachian has not done a very good job of welcoming and accomodating transgender students. I think as future teachers it is important to be open-minded and welcome all students despite their race, sex, etc.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for posting that. I remember going to a SAGA meeting about two years ago and hearing "transaction" speak to Chancellor Peacock. They asked questions about getting a LGBT center and now we have one. They also asked about having restrooms where it wasn't girl/boy divided and I have see a couple of those too.

So I think the university is trying at least. It may be a slow process, but it's good to know that it's happening.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Judy on this- I think that it is really positive that the university has been taking some steps. It may seem small, but in the grand scheme of things it can have a big effect on people's lives. I think that our job as teachers is to do what we can to continue the efforts to accommodate everyone who is different so that they may have the most comfortable learning environment.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks for posting this Maggie! It is very enlightening to think about how our University is trying to accommodate all kinds of students, despite their religious beliefs, political attitudes or orientation. The fact of the matter is that it is important to accept people and learn about the way they life their life because nine times out of ten you cannot change someones opinions or beliefs.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have noticed a big difference on campus as far as the openness and acceptance of GLBT students since the first time I attended ASU in 2003. I'm glad that our school is taking a positive stand and moving forward making sure that ALL students feel welcome here. Hopefully our university's actions will lead more people, schools, and businesses to do that same.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 am
All-star
All-star

I'm glad that Appalachian is thinking about transgender students and accepting them. It's good when a school can be open-minded about different people and I wish my high school back at home was the same way but it wasn't. I remember during the panel, the students who spoke thought that college life was awesome and accepting. Maybe we can be the teacher who says, "Hang in there" to our students.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is awesome that ASU is taking steps to help make all students feel accepted and appreciated, even. I can agree with Megan: my high school was not open-minded about different people at all. I spent most of my Junior and Senior years trying to not be "outed" by my classmates. This can be very stressful for students on top of trying to keep up good grades and scholarship and college applications. It's hard enough to be leading a "different" life in the first place.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I heard something at the end of my freshman year that the school was trying to make floors for transgendered students and i don't think that's a good idea. Is it not putting them on display and be considered the "transgendered hall?" However I do think it's a more positive step towards the right direction.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:08 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]