View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Respecting Transgender 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we should discuss the question Dr. Turner raised in class. Many people would have trouble sympathizing and understanding a transgendered person, but after watching the video, do you feel like you can respect them?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like we can respect anyone as long as we remember that they are human beings at their core, despite whatever they do that we may disagree with. Transgender or no people deserve respect, in and out of the classroom. We can put aside our disagreements with a person when dealing with them professionally, but we can still retain whatever beliefs we have about them behind closed doors.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Ben that people deserve respect. You don't have to agree with the things people do, but we should respect them. My next statement might seem random, because it refers to music, but it reminds me of this topic. One of my good friends only listens to hardcore metal music, but when he is stuck listening to other types of music he says that he still respects it. He respects the talents of other musicians even though he doesn't care much for the genre. That makes me think of how I show respect to people no matter what they choose to do with their lives. As long as they respect themselves then I can respect them too.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After watching the video, I do feel like I can respect them. I am not against transgender at all. If that is the lifestyle people want to live, they are humans just like anyone else is. Who are we to tell people how they should live, especially if they feel so strongly about who they are. In the classroom especially we have to treat all people as equals no matter what.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the statement that you don't have to agree with what people do, but you should still respect them. As teachers, our job is to still treat all of our students equally and help them learn to the best of their ability.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the statements made! I feel that even though I do not agree with teh life style that transgender people chose I can still respect their choice to live the life they live!

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's easy to stick with stereotypes and judge people based on life styles or appearance. But, deep down is where the heart of each person is. I believe that every person should be respected until the they prove that they don't deserve it. Just because someone chooses to be trans gender doesn't mean they deserve discrimination or hate.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that every person should be respected as long as they can show respect. Regardless of sex, gender, race, ect., people are still people. The movie was definetly eye opening. I don't think I have ever watched anything about trans gender people. I'm sure that we all will probably have at least a few students during our teacher career that are thinking of or are trans gender, and we'll have to figure out how to deal with that. I think that respecting them is a good place to start.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that after watching the video just because I do not agree with the lifestyle that I can still respect their lifestyle and how they are living. The video was interesting to watch.

Casey Gill

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:57 am
All-star
All-star

I think as long as society keeps a people-first mindset, things will be okay. It's the same way with talking about a person with a handicap, for instance. It's no longer politically correct or whatever to say "she's retarded" ... you're supposed to say "She has a mental handicap." She's still a person...there's just that handicapped or transgendered or African American or Buddhist aspect of her.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely respect people who are transgender. Even though I may not agree with the decisions they make, I can still respect them as a person. As hard as it may be, I think it is very important for teachers to treat all students equally and not to show favoritism based on their personal decisions. I thought that the video did a good job of showing the inner thoughts of these types of people and to see what they go through.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that I may not understand the lifestyle of a transgendered person only because I am not transgender myself. However, I do feel that I could not only respect a transgendered person but also feel comfortable around them. Honestly, until some of the people on the video said that they were transgendered I couldn't even tell. Being transgendered is just a difference and differences make us unique and interesting, which to me is a good thing!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that I can respect them just as well as any other individual. Though I may not be be able to understand or empathize with them all that well, but really I don't won't be able to understand a lot of my students without some extra effort.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that everyone should should respect all people, regardless of their lifestyle choice. Even if you do not agree with how they live their life, that doesn't give you the right to treat someone badly. Especially as future teachers, it is important to be respectful of others. You don't have to agree with them but you should treat them with respect. We are all going to have students in our classes that have different lifestyles than us, but we still need to treat them like any other student.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]