View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Today's Panel 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed the discussion today with the panel of students. I was wondering how everyone else felt about today's discussion with the panel. I thought an interesting point was brought up about how as teachers we should be open for students to come talk to but how open should we be. Someone said they knew teachers that have been fired from being too open.
I also thought it was interesting that all of the students said how comfortable they were with being at ASU and out of the public schools. I am so glad that ASU offers organizations such as SOGA and Trans that allows students who struggle with gender identity to be around others who are dealing with the same issues.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I did enjoy listening to the conversation and the questions being answered by the panel in class. I also agree that is is great that ASU has organizations such as SAGA and TRANSaction that serve as support groups for our GLBTQ students. However, things aren't always that simple in high school. I have talked to some of my friends who come from schools that did have some form of supportive Gay/Straight Alliance-type club that they took part in. I, adversely, came from a rather rural and conservative type town in the Bible Belt. We had no organization for students like myself, and it was usually a very stressful existence. I also do not think that, should there have been enough interest built up in the student body, there would have been a GSA club formed anyway. The ease and comfort of your students with this type of topic is going to vary based on your location and the type of people you are involved with in the first place.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:56 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]