View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Discipline Issue 
All-star
All-star

In my kindergarten class for Block I practicum we had a discipline issue that I thought I would get your opinion on.

The class was supposed to write letters to a friend in the class but they were supposed to keep it a secret who they wrote to and not tell anyone so no one would know who their letter was from. One little girl saw who a classmate had written to and went and told the other student who had written them a letter. When the teacher found out the girl had spilled a secret she yelled at the girl in front of the whole class and told her that now she was not allowed to make an Easter basket and had to sit and watch the other students while they made theirs.

I was just wondering what everyone thought about how the situation was handled and how they would have handled it in their own classroom.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I was surprised that the teacher reacted that strongly to the student telling a secret. I would not have yelled at the girl in front of the whole class like that. I would have pulled her aside and talked to her about it and approach it that way. What the teacher did just seems to be such a harsh punishment for a kindergartner.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That seems like a trivial thing to get mad over. I, like Laura, would have pulled the student aside to tell her why it was wrong to tell the secret. I know that if I was a kindergartner in this situation I would have cried if the teacher yelled at me in front of the class.
It makes me wonder why the teacher felt it necessary to yell at her student? And why would she make the student sit and watch the others make baskets instead of making her do something else. I think that if I had been in the teacher I wouldn't have reacted as harshly. But I also don't know the whole situation, the teacher could have been exasperated with the student and didn't know what else to do. I think though she at least shouldn't have yelled, that was a bad move on her part. We all know that using our teacher voices is more effective than yelling.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm really suprised that the teacher acted so harshly over the little girl telling the secret especially when she's in kindergarten. I guess I can see her getting mad because it might be teaching a lesson that you aren't suppose to tell each other's secrets but to not let her make an Easter basket is mean. I agree with everyone else that the teacher should have pulled the little girl to the side and discussed the situation with her.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First of all, man I wish discipline issues in high school were the same as elementary!

I may be a high school major, but it, first of all, is really never professional for a teacher to raise their voice to a student, HS or elementary. If you do that in high school, you can just kiss your respectability goodbye because HS students are just looking for your weakness. it's like they smell weaknesses.

But in elementary school it isn't okay either, and really not at all necessary for a teacher to yell at a child in front of the entire classroom AND make her sit out. I mean, it's not like the little girl tried to light someone else on fire, potentially risking a life. She didn't even risk the lesson. It literally only involve three kids, and it was just a little harmless gossip. That teacher must have been having a bad day!

plus, like I said i'm not elementary so I'm no expert, but to me, it doesn't seem like peer pressure works the same for little students as it does higher up. The only reason I would ever call a student out for the class to hear is if they made a blatantly rude remark (within reason) like saying to me "you're a fucking racist!" and I would make them explain themselves in front of the rest, because their argument would be not at all factually based, and they would look like an idiot, thusly they would not do it again. (i've thought about that for a long time). But i feel like it would just be a one day embarrassment, and the kid would bounce back by recess, because her friends would think it was way unreasonable and would still want to play with her regardless (whole else will be their four?)

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Like everyone else, I'm surprised that the teacher acted this way! I don't think you can expect every kindergartner to be so serious about keeping a secret like that. It would have been much more appropriate for the teacher to speak to the student privately instead of humiliating her in front of the class about such a small issue. I don't believe that she deserved the punishment that she received, it was harsh for kindergarten. I would have spoken to the student privately and then drop the issue.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 am
All-star
All-star

I don't believe the teacher should have acted so severely. Especially to not allow the student to make an Easter basket. Obviously the student was excited to know who had written her friend a letter and wanted to tell them. I don't think just because the teacher said not to do that, that it was such an issue. It didn't harm anyone, and I'm sure all of the other students still had a good time.

Casey Gill

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm
All-star
All-star

This is ridiculous! I know that chidlren should be displined and yes maybe the girl should not have told but this punishment is crazy. This should be dealt with in another way. The teacher should maybe tell that child to apologize to the person she told and then wrtie an apology note to that person. I just feel that some early level elmentary teachers punich children for things that are not even a big deal and when they do punish them they do it to serverly. This is what i think!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the teacher did overreact a bit, and excluding a child from a class activity does nothing but breed resentment, trust me I know. Yelling over this is just silly and will probably make the teacher seem scary to little kids for a while. This could have been handled better.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am suprised, like others, how the teacher handled the situation. In kindergarten I think childern are still learning about what they can and can't do. I dont' think the girl realized what she was doing, even though she knew that she was not suppose to tell a secret or learn a secret. I don't think it was approriate to yell at a student in kindergarten in front of the whole class. I also believe the teacher should have just pulled her aside and still let her make the easter basket. It was not that big of a deal, like it was made out to be.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Its kindergarten! It's not like a girl at the Pentagon decided to let some nuclear codes pass to her questionable friends. Pulling the girl aside and teaching her the importance of keeping a secret, etc. is perfectly acceptable. But the kid does not need to be needlessly punished for something as trivial as that.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've never understood why some teachers feel as if yelling solves anything. To me, yelling doesn't do anything to help situations. Perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective (although from everyone else posts, I am not) but it tends to make things worst. there are probably people our age who would tell just the same, just be better at keeping it quite while doing so.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

I'm guessing that teacher accomplished three things. She embarrassed her student, made her student afraid of her/feel bad, and probably pissed off a parent. It wasn't appropriate to yell, and I don't think it was appropriate to leave her out of a class activity. She singled her out double time, and I'm sure that little girl felt like it was the end of her world...all over something so small. Like some others said, the teacher must have been having a bad day. At least I hope she was...it'd be awful to think that's just her regular way of dealing with stress/problems.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was also very surprised at the way the teacher acted!! I think that the teacher could have handled that situation in a more professional way by talking to the student in private and explaining why she was not supposed to tell anyone. I think that that was very unfair for the teacher to embarrass and make fun of the student in front of the entire class, especially when it was a personal issue that should have been dealt with one on one.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the teacher over reacted and should have just made the students that was "outted", write their letter to a different person. The assignment seemed simple so the teacher shouldn't have yelled at her so or punished her like that. I gues the teacher just wanted to make an example of her and that was the best way to go about it. I personally doubt I would yell at a student over that.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

oh my goodness that is terrible. Definite overreaction. I agree with Natalie that really all that was accomplished was embarrassing the student. Yes, the student shouldn't have told the secret and yes, she should be talked to about that. However, yelling in front of the class and also punishing them with something not related- thats not right.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]