View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Religion 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We have come to a point in the class where I think this subject really needs to have some attention paid to it. The idea of Religion in a classroom. We just had a discussion on homosexuals in a class and in the past we have touched on the idea of Race and different backgrounds and in all cases, I think most everyone agrees with the thought that they should be incorporated and allowed. One thing that I think can play a huge role in a class that we haven't talked a whole lot about is Religion. One thing about religion is that it can play a HUGE role in a class. While some people think this or that about homosexuals, the fact of the matter is that homo and hetro sexuals are only sexual orientations and thus can be kept to the side and never known one way or another. In all actuallity, they are the same people. Race is a social concept that doesn't change who a person is. Religion on the other hand does affect who a person is and how they perform their everyday functions. While this country is suppose to be based on Christian beliefs, such beliefs as Islam, Jewish, or Wiccan's all live through different constraints and in a classroom, there are times that those different ideas can become some what of an issue.
I'm interstest to see what everyone elses ideas on the subject are mainly because I think that this is one of the biggest issues for both students and teachers because there are teachers that follow different religions from there students and some of those may not be very accepting to the students and their parents.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I had a situation with religion in the elementary and middle grades because I went to a Catholic School. This made it where we prayed all the time and had religion class and my day was pretty much centered around religion. This did not make anything difficult because going to a Catholic school makes children and parents know that religion will be present but I can see how trouble would occur in a normal public school.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 am
All-star
All-star

I think that religion in the classroom is definitely a touchy subject. Because we do practice separation of church and state, I think that it is important for a teacher to be able to talk about different religions with students for educational value but not to convert anyone or make one religion seem better than another. It is important for all students to feel comfortable in the classroom no matter what religion they practice. I have seen elementary school teachers have parents fill out a form at the beginning of the school year with information about the child and also religion etc. This can help a teacher understand the classroom demographics and be prepared for any issues that may come up. Then you (and students) can also learn about different religions that are present in the classroom. I thought that this was an interesting idea and one that could make the year run a lot more smoothly especially if you and the parents know what to expect.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the teachers and the students should know where each other stands but neither should have their religion shoved down their throats. An understanding needs to be present so that no one gets offended but teachers and students shouldn't be backed into corners over the differences in their religion.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since religion is important to a lot of people the best way to treat it is to be respectful of their religion, their practices, and helping them work out a system in the classroom if you are going against their practices. And if the students aren't accepting of the religion sometimes its good for them to learn about the religion and have someone come into the classroom to present about the religion. This way the students learn about the worlds vast different culture and stop being ignorant.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think just like we've suggested to have gender neutral classes we should have religion neutral classes too. Where race and sexuality are not choices, for me, religion is a choice. It might be a choice our parents made for us but it is a choice. I don't think religion should be preached in schools because we are teachers and not preachers. However, I do think different religions should be taught. Just how different lifestyles are taught, religion can be taught too. Sometimes however I think peoples religious beliefs and their moral become closely intertwined. The tricky thing for teachers to figure out is the difference between teaching our students good morals and pushing our religious beliefs onto our students.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In European History, which is what I'll be hoping to teach, the point of the entire class is to learn the history and progression of world religions and cultures from Europe and Asia. So, I've already mentioned this on another post, but I just finished creating a website for my CI3100 class. I ended up having to call my teacher to make sure that it was ok to put the COEXIST logo on the homepage (http://sites.google.com/site/inthekitch ... ilgus/Home). My point of doing it was to present all religions equally, and at the same time, to assure families that I don't plan on pushing any one religion to the students. But my friend told me that it could be problematic for me to leave it up there in case there is a particularly christian family who might not appreciate that I am putting them in the same class as Islam. The moral of the story is that my teacher said that it was ok, but there have been cases when techer have been fined or even fired for leaving that kind of thing on a school sponsored website. So I think that if you care about keeping your job, at least until you get tenure, maybe you should just leave it out.

I left it on there though for the principle of the matter. I like to live on the edge.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]