View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 What sustains you? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So with our end of the semester thing coming up I was just wondering what everyone plans on bringing in for the class? (If you want to share and not keep it a surprise) I like the idea of bringing in something that sustains us and sharing it. I can't count the number of teachers I know who have gotten burned out on teaching. They were really great teachers too. When asked why they were changing profession, all they said was they got wore out from it. One teacher that I talked to said the best advice she could give me was to make sure I kept my teaching life and personal life separate. She said every teacher needs to be able to go home to their own personal life, otherwise you will get burned out and quick. She said don't try and take school home with you. What are ya'lls thoughts at the topic? How do ya'll plan on staying in the field long term without getting burned out?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too have talked to a lot of long time teachers and they have all told me the same thing:
keep school life and personal life separate
leave school at school - don't bring it home with you

There is no guarantee that you won't burn out at some point, but I think if you keep reminding yourself why you became a teacher in the first place that might help. It takes a special kind of person to be a teacher, and an even more special teacher to stay around for 30 years!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't mind sharing what I am HOPING to bring...and that is my puppy Bentley! :) No matter what is going on in my life here is always wagging his tail and happy to see me and he is the most loving little guy so I can not stay in a bad mood whenever he is around me. I know that sometimes people say that other people sustain them but sometimes I just want to be alone and so I do not mind have my puppy around when I do not want anyone else. Sometimes its the small things in life that can really make us the happiest!!!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was having a hard time figuring out what to bring. I have been having issues with my own personal beliefs lately. Figuring out what sustains me and keeps me going is one of these issues. After talking with a family friend who happens to be a music professor we cleared up a few things for me. I have discovered my passions and goals in life are much different than the standard college student. In essence the nature of the job I will be doing is what will sustain me. Serving others, helping where I can, making a difference in somebody's life, these are the things that keeps me going, and is also the reason I am so burnt out with college. I will bring this story with me and a little more for the potluck.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I have no idea what to bring-maybe coffee, haha! Well, that DOES sustain me in the morning. Anyways, I kinda wish I could bring my parents because they are awesome. Both of my parents are music educators (dad is a middle school band director and mom is an elementary general music teacher) so I would always call them and ask for advice because they know and understand what I'm going through because they've been through it too! I'll have to ask them what kept them going!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As of right now I have absolutely no clue what to bring to the potluck...Most of the "sustaining components" of my life are not actual objects. I suppose I will do a little soul searching and settle on something that accurately REPRESENTS what I feel gives me hope.

Also, burning out has been one of my biggest concerns for when I get out in the real teaching world. Being a music educator who hopes to teach at the High School level, I will be spending a GREAT amount of time at school. There is also no promise that my job will not take over my weekends as well. I have read that most advice consists of warnings to keep school and personal separate and to leave each at it's own respective place. While I do intend on focusing intently on this, I am still paranoid that school will creep it's way into my home life.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is hard to narrow down to one thing that sustains me. So I have yet to decide what to bring to Hope day. Most often when I am stressed with school and life now, I play the piano to calm myself down. I can't say that the piano gives me hope, but it does soothe me. Also, I don't think I want to bring my full keyboard to class! The other thing that gives me hope is writing down my thoughts in a journal. I don't do it daily, but I find that if I have a lot on my mind, it helps me sort things out and I actually sleep better after I write. Then when I look back on things I've written down, I realize that they were either small things that I got worked up about, or I see how much I've grown since then.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

my friends sustain me, as i sustain some of them. I cannot make it through the day without seeing one of them , and i would not like to see the day when i would not be able to see them. I go to my friends for advice, and use them to help me through rough spots in life. They are there to help me laugh,, play and are a should to cry on when something terrible has happened. I will can't take all of them, well some are in this class :wink: . But i will bring a picture i took a few years ago in high school with some of my best friends, i am still living with a couple of them, and the others went to different schools. But in essence, my friends sustain me and give me hope.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For "Hope Day" I am HOPING to bring in my ferret. I know some people are freaked out by them but I'm telling you, he is not your average ferret. He knows commands like a dog does, he will do anything for a treat, and has never in his life bitten or scratched a single thing...except his toys. I have had him since my freshman year and have hidden him in my dorms until i moved out. I know it's weird to say that he can make me smile at any given time. The entire potluck he will be in his harness attached to a leash and be with me so noone has to worry about him running around wild.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]