View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What would you do if... 
All-star
All-star

We didn't get down to the question 'What would you do if a girl in your kindergarten class came to school wearing heavy make up' (something along those lines). I'm not an elementary ed major, but I thought a lot about this one in class. I never really came up with an answer. My first thought was something media related and about how girls are pressured to grow up too soon, but then I thought (probably more realistically) that she just wants to do what Mommy (or sister or some other figure) does. There's nothing wrong with that, I guess, especially since I'm guessing the mother probably knows about the make up/saw it. I have no idea what I would do if I were in that situation. Some people might even say it's the little girl's right to express herself or whatever. Personally I think it's silly for a five year old to be wearing mascara or something...

Would you ignore it or talk to the parents or what? I mean...it's not like she's hurting anybody, but it still seems a little ridiculous/unnecessary to me.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would try to figure out why the girl was wearing the make-up. If it was just because she had been playing dress up and thought it would be fun to act like an adult then I probably wouldn't go much further into the situation. If however, the student came many days in a row with heavy make-up or said something about being told she needed the make-up, I would potentially talk with the parents/influential figures and maybe try to do a lesson on self respect and acceptance that wouldn't single out the student but would definitely reach them. If it continued, I might consider involving the school counselor so the student could get some more physiological one on one help.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree, I would first ask why she was wearing the makeup. I told my group that at that age children want to pick out their clothes and it can sometimes be crazy looking or wear dress up make up. If this was the case then I would just ask the parent if he or she could just let their child wear the makeup at home because when she wears it school, it causes a disruption in the classroom.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Katelyn, If the makeup persisted, I would ask the parent. Not in a judgemental way, but I'm sure that they would have some thoughts about why the girl was doing it. My only issue with it would be that it might inadvertently be influencing other kindergarten girls to do the same thing, which is just far to early for them to care about fixing themselves, because children are naturally gorgeous. I wish I could have the skin they do again! I would express that concern to the mother, hopefully she would understand about influencing others. I remember when I was that age i got into my mom's makeup and put purple on one eye and teal on the other, and lipstick all over my mouth. My mom walked in and I remember like it was yesterday ... I said "Mommy don't i look pretty?!?" and the face that she made was priceless: somewhere between "yikes!" and "oh no" and "AHAHAHAH". she said "yes! but you look so much prettier without it!" and I took it off and that was the end of it. didn't wear makeup till i was in middle school. I think children just need that same support, and if it doesn't come from the parent, i think it is acceptable for you to say it, and they will probably ask for your opinion, so it will be a good time.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]