View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Women and Food- The Hardees Commercial 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey everyone. After we watched that video in class on Thursday I got to thinking about advertisements dealing with women and food. I never realized the negative connotations that so many of these ads carry. But then I also started thinking about this one commercials in particular. You have probably all seen it- the drop dead gorgeous girl is chowing down on this disgusting looking enormous burger from Hardees. Anyway, I was thinking, who is this commercial targeting? I mean obviously its supposed to make men want to watch her because she's beautiful, but she's not so pretty with that slop falling all over her. Or is she? Plus, are we supposed to believe that she eats a huge Hardees burger everyday and is that skinny? So is this ad telling women it's okay to eat or is it fooling them into thinking they can eat that junk and look like a supermodel? Does it have a positive message or a negative one? I can't really figure it out, so I wanted to get everyone else's opinions.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh, Joni. I can’t tell you how glad I am that you brought this up! This commercial infuriates me. That gorgeous woman is the host from the show Top Chef. She eats gourmet, culinary masterpieces for a living. I can respect that. However, this disgusting, degrading add she’s done for Hardees made me lose all respect for her. I think what angers me the most is that I feel certain that there’s no way on earth that this woman would walk into a Hardees and order that filthy pile of food. After seeing the commercial, curiosity got the best of me and I had to look up the nutrition information for that little burger she’s so crazy about. It’ll only set you back about 1,000 calories with enough grams of fat for a week! The fact that she’s glorifying this heart attack waiting to happen makes me so angry. We’re the fattest country in the world and the people seeing this commercial are getting so many mixed signals. I mean let’s face it, 90% of the population can’t eat garbage like that unless they want to be a 400 pound diabetic. So why on earth should be acceptable for advertising to encourage obesity by making seem glamorous…even though the chick eating the burger weighs about 100 pounds. I hate this commercial. I hate the fast food industry. I hate the mixed signals that women get about food. Life’s confusing enough. Food shouldn’t be seen as an enemy, but it also shouldn’t be sexualized and glamorized in such an unhealthy way. SICK.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the ad is completely negative. It is all about sex appeal and trying to get men to buy their thick burgers. Honestly, the first time I saw this commercial, I was disgusted. She hikes up her skirt, shows a bunch of cleavage and then bends over to reveal her bra, licks food off of her self, and primarily uses her tongue to eat the bacon. The camera actually shifts down slightly toward her chest at one point and, of course, she's glistening like she's just starting to sweat a little. Basically, they want men to imagine that they are the thick burger and she is doing all of these things for and to them. As far as the message it gives to women, I think it's passing along the message that you have to be provocative 24/7, even when you are eating one of the most messy burgers out there. How realistic is that? I also find it interesting that a supposed culinary expert is promoting a sloppy, unhealthy fast food burger. I really doubt that burger is the best thing she's tasted.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have never really paid any attention to who was in commercials or how they were advertising certain products, until we had this discussion. Now I have been noticing that just about every commercial has something appealing to their target customers, besides the product being advertised. I have to say that the strategy being used is to promote this product or company is pretty smart. Just as in the Hardees commercial their main customers are young and middle aged men. For some this works but others will not even notice what the commercial is about. Commercials such as this definitely promote bad eating habits which leads to many health problems down the road. I do agree that this commercial is not realistic at all because you do not look like that eating at Hardees every day.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not agree with a lot of ads out there, especially this one. However, I do understand why they are doing it. If they increased their sales with this ad, then they did what they needed to do. On the other hand, I wish women were not degrading in the process, just as men should not be degrading in commercials for women (and they are). I do not know which is right or wrong, because I do understand what the campaign designers are trying to do. I do not think that they want to degrade women in certain ways or anything, I think that they will make a campaign to target a certain audience. I believe that this country likes sex and if it sells then people are going to continue to use it in ads. Even though I understand this, I really wish it was not like that. I wish that companies would look for other ways of selling their products than through sex.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am glad that this advertisement was brought up because in all reality if a girl that looks like this could eat burgers like that all the time and look like that then we should all go to Hardee's but that is not the case. It makes women that do not look like this not understand why when they eat the same foods they do not look like that. I do not like advertisements like this because they are negative toward women and womens body composition because we all know that this is not reality. I do agree that the only reason that there are advertisements like this is because of the sex appeal.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sell the sex because thats what works I guess, it has to if almost every company still uses this technique. Most people our age understand that this commercial is not realistic. It's the kids that I'm really worried about. Most kids get to watch TV unsupervised, and they don't have a mature guardian with them to explain "Now little Suzy this commercial is telling a lie, you can't eat that and look like her". Should teachers take the time and responsibility to explain to their children the negative affects these commercials have? I think this commercial definitely has a negative message.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sadly, sex does sell. So our kids are constantly seeing images of sex everywhere, even to sell the littlest things, such as body spray. I watched this commerical for AXE in one of my other classes when we discussed media literacy. What message are kids picking up from a commerical like this? The sex angle, and "it all washes away in the morning" attitdue of this clip really upsets me. Why is all that necessary to sell a body spray? Just a warning this commercial is pretty explicit! but I have seen it on TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL7vhQ9XTsU

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 am
All-star
All-star

I simply dislike advertisements like this. I see this as a "sex sells," but I also see it as add for you can eat whatever you want and still look like the girl in the photo. We all know that when this women was shooting the photoshoot for hardees, she most likely didn't eat the hamburger she is holding or the contents that are displayed in the bag. I feel as though this sets off a negative model to men and women. If you notice, most adds (with the exception of a few such as dove, which I love) there are beautiful, fit people displaying these products. People often times will use these products and don't think about what they are putting into their bodies. This could be anywhere from fast food to cigarette adds.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like most of you, I also cannot stand these commercials. They are just gross. I personally do not want to see sauce dripping on a woman's leg while she licks it off. I will never eat at Hardee's because of this commercial...not that I liked Hardee's in the first place. I think that its very degrading and inappropriate. Everyone knows those girls would NEVER eat a Hardee's burger normally. Their first commercial was worse, however. I'm sure some of you remember it....a girl crawling all over the floor while she eats a burger thats way too big for her mouth. I'm so sick of all the sex appeal in today's commercials. They aren't real and most of them aren't attractive. When companies use sex appeal in their commercials, it spells out 'desperate' to me. If only Hardee's could see how much we all hate their commercials....

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

See but the thing is a majority of the population that watches the commercials enjoy them and will run right out and purchase the products. Yes there are some that boycott the companies based on commercials such as these but they are not a majority. And in America the majority rules. People are collective and conformist by nature. If they are shown this is the "what" that is persuasive to them then it is what they will believe in. It is just the way it works. Our job as educators is to show the children of tomorrow that they do not have to give in to the conformist beliefs of the masses. Also that they understand the media and understand how to interpret what the media shows them.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 am
All-star
All-star

Oh every time I see this commercial, it drives me crazy. Padma Lakshmi does NOT eat like that and still have the figure she does. But anyways, I can't stand these commercials because it's so sexist. People are going to want to go to Hardees just because the woman in the commercial is enjoying the burger...a little too much if you ask me. And she licks off the sauce being all seductive and I doubt people are thinking about food at this point. I feel that the commercial promotes women being just a thing. Something used to sell food which kind of turns the woman into food (at least that's how I see it). Yeah, I also agree that Hardees is pretty desperate. All their commercials suck anyway. And so do the Axe commercials. Just because some guy sprays a little body spray on, does NOT mean I am going to jump all over him like they depict in their commercials.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ha I can't even look at a burger without gaining 5 pounds. I wish people would just tell the truth...you can't eat food like that and maintain a healthy looking body. Those burgers have like 900 calories in them...HOLY COW! Anyway, I think ads like that are awful but they are trying to make money and they'll do it however they can.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]