View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Students success 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Should we as teachers push our students to be all they can be or should we limit their goals in life to what we think deep down they really are capable of based on home economics?

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Who are we to determine our student's limits? I 110% believe that it is our job to challenge each and everyone of our kids. What is a challenge to one may not be the same challenge to another; that's part of what is fair to one isn't necessarily what is fair to the other. I strongly believe that it is not our right to set their limits. There are no boundaries for kids. Each child can grow with appropriate challenges!

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:45 pm

I think that it is important to challange all of our students no matter what their academic ability. Last year I had a student who is autistic and I expected her to complete the assignment even if it was modified. This year I have a student who is self contained and is only in my room first thing in the morning and then for lunch and specials. I give him an assignment in the morning that is similiar to what the other students are doing and I expect him to complete it. I think in the past, he has been allowed to skip an assignment because the teacher thinks "well he can't do it so I will give him something simple to do." I think this attitude is an injustice to the student. How will they know what they can achieve if they don't try. It is our job to push them to be their individual best.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Every child deserves a chance at obtaining high goals no matter where they come from. One of my best friends in high school came from a not so great home. He could have been our valavictorian(sp?) but just slid by and did hte least amount that he had too. He is one of the smartest guys I know but was not challenged by anyone to measure up to his full potential. Yes I agree that every child should have high expectations and like Erika said these expectations are not the same for all children. Fair is not the same for all children.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

All kids should be pushed and challenged as much as we can. Who are we to decide the limits that should be placed on a child. I know if a teacher came to me about my child and said that they were only going to push him so much because he will only be a this or that when he grows up, I would have his/her job. I wonder what would have happened to many great people in history if they had teachers who had put limits on them. We must challenge students to be all they can be. That would make a good slogan for someone./:)

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I whole heartedly agree that we should challenge students. We shouldn't assume what life holds for them. We should expose them to options and help open up some avenues. We live in a day where it is possible for most to go to some type of colllege, despite their economic status. No, that doesn't mean they will go fresh out of high school. But students should know how their dreams and aspirations can be made possible. I like to give my students and parents my testimony. I quit high school, and look at me now. I am a well respected teacher, working on her masters!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is essential that we set high expectations for all of our students. If we don't believe they will reach their goals then they won't believe it either. I do hold different expectations for each student in my classroom, however, I believe that they can reach all their goals....and more.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we should push all students. I try to find a balance of knowing as much as possible about my students lives without letting that knowledge allow me to stereotype them. My first year of teaching, I found that the more I learned about my students homelives, the more I let them off the hook for things. I realized that I was only hurting them by doing this. Students from loweconomic status need the same expectations as the other students. They should be required to meet the same goals but may need more assistance.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We as teachers should never think that a child's economic status should be the criteria in which we set their learning goals. A child who is poor can be just as smart as a child who is wealthy. I find that some teachers really believe that a child who is poor cannot do many great things, and I believe that kind of teacher needs to find a new profession. We are here to up lift these children and show them they can be whatever they want if they just stick to studying and doing well. We can give them avenues to go down to get to success.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Raye Lynn, I find it funny that with my personality and style of teaching the kids in my classroom that perform the best are the kids from the lower economic status. I 100% believe that it's all a matter of how we view these kids, respond to them, and teach them. All kids from all backgroundes and statuses are capable.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:50 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]