View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Class Video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know about you guys, but I found those videos we watched in class the other night very interesting. At first I couldn't believe the man shocking that other person bc a so called "doctor" was telling him to do it. However, as I thought about it, I wandered if I would have done the same thing in that same situation. We start out as children learning to obey authority and authority figures. It's as if it is ingrained in our brains from an early age to do what you are told. I think to an extent that sticks with us into adulthood. Of course, only if it is a so called respectable person working in a respectable field of study. I can't say that I would do anything by listening to some random Joe Blow off the street. However, someone that is a professional may have a different effect on me. That being said, I must say that scares the bejjees out of me. I have to think that I would have done the same thing with the doctor experiment. If my boss tells me something to do at work I am pretty much going to listen. I hope that in a bad situation I would do what I thought was right. The video did show me no matter who is telling you what to do, you always need to listen to your inner voice. If my gut feeling is bad, I need to go with that feeling and say NO even if it could cost me my job! What is your take on it?

Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you completely. However, I've been teaching for three years now. I do things quite frequently in my classroom that I don't agree with. From the pressures of the state, county, central office, principal... I would be fired if I went against the grain. I can assure you that any job I took there would be something I wouldn't agree with but I would have to take it if I wanted my job. With that said... I believe there are many things we don't have control over IF we want to live in this society. Connecting to a bit of this week's reading... we aren't in the chosen group to make decisions and not have to worry about the aftermath.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]