View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 SAT, ACT, Desire/Will? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being that the SAT measures aptitude and the ACT measures achievement, what part does a person's desire or will to achieve impact the outcome (future academic success)? This question arose as I was reading page 103.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What I don't think was considered when the SAT and ACT tests were designed was a persons innate ability to learn and want to succeed. I think the only thing that really mattered was what could be measured...And so a person would will do well on the test whether or not he was thought of as intelligent to Chauncey's standards was unseen...How else could you explain a poor farm boy who mastered the SAT???

I think we have come a long way in this area...We finally understand...maybe...a bit better that a person can accomplish anything. That if a person scores low on a standardized test it may not be because he/she is not intelligent or that he doesn't have the desire to learn...it maybe because he/she is having a rough day...Other considerations are being taken into consideration.

There is a debate called nature vs nurture...How much of who is because of our environment and how of who we are is heredity????? Can we overcome what the obstacles in our environment? Or does our heredity shape us to the point we can not change...I surely hope not... There have been too people in history who have proved this wrong!

I was wondering what would happen if Marzano met Chauncey? What conversations would take place! Would they agree on anything or would WWIII break out in edcuation??? :)

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Post SAT
i will never understand why it got used for college placement these days. I hated the SAT and i dont think it works for its current purpose these days, maybe for its intended use for placement in society but i prefer something where you can put your answers into context.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 pm

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading. I think that a person's will and desire to succeed has a huge impact on academic success (and other areas of life as well!) I don't think there is a test that can measure a persons desire or ability to overcome. It seems that with all the testing-the most important things are numbers.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with you guys. I think all the testing craziness is ridiculous; however, while reading your posts... I had a thought. If colleges stop using standardized tests as a factor for admissions, what will they use? Do you think it would be fair to only use high school GPA? Any ideas on how colleges could do admissions without test scores?

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

These are all great questions! Since testing has been developed and weaved it's way into our society as the way for measuring success and determining futures, it is hard to imagine a world without them. So many jobs and futures are dependent on the single score from a test. If school systems could be rearranged and remodeled, I also wonder, how would colleges choose their students? What impact would it have on our society to NOT have these tests?

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:35 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]