View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 "Beyond Hetero" 

I attended the part of the Multicultural Center's "Lunch and Learn" series. The idea is for people to get together, during lunch, to learn about minority groups on campus. The group that was represented during my session was the LGBT community. There was a small panel of four there to answer any questions posed by those in attendance.

I asked the panel when they first became away that they "may not be straight". The general consensus was that high school was a hard time for all of them. One girl mentioned that she first started questioning her orientation in her sophomore year and said that at times it was so hard for her that she considered suicide. I asked if there was anything that I could do as a high school teacher to make this difficult time any easier for students that I suspect may be struggling with their sexual identities. She expressed that a teacher just letting the her know that they were there for her would have made all the difference. She recommended that I make myself available to the students and try to help them get in with the counseling center.

Though I felt that her advice was sincere, I question how approriate it would be for me to get involved in my student's personal lives. I know too many teachers and authority figures who have tried to help only to have their careers ruined by lies.

In addition to answering questions, they also talked about trouble they face in their daily lives. One panelist described occasions of students throwing food at them for walking down King St holding their partner's hand. Another, of being fired from her job after her boss discovered that it wasn't her room mate but her girlfriend who was coming to visit on her breaks.

I have many homosexual friends and a few family members. I have always known some of the troubles they face but hearing these stories made my blood boil. After the meeting I decided to join the Appalachian Allies to help promote the education of the public on alternative life styles.

If you are interested in attending any of the Lunch and Learn Diversity Series, you can check out their site http://multicultural.appstate.edu/pagesmith/140.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:43 pm

I also went to the Multicultural Center’s “Lunch and Learnâ€

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]