View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Body image 

Should girls wear shoes like those pictured in this post?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Yes 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
No 79%  79%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 19

Body image 
Site Admin

Here is your assignment. I hope you will periodically bring your discussion back to the role of the school and the classroom as a place where students are NOT objectified.

1. Watch these three video clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7143sc_HbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ2_lEzLqbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFK5L_T5KWg

2. Go to our discussion forum.

I have started a topic here with ONE specific question that I hope will encourage you to discuss children's objectification through advertising and the manipulation of (usually female) body images, and the early sexualization of children to sell products. Please feel free to include a discussion of your own experiences. My question is designed simply to start the discussion. The discussion will close next Monday.

Should girls wear shoes like these? Why? Why not?

(I took this from a site that purports to have pictures of Kellie Pickler, a NC native and contestant on American Idol.)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

I chose no on if girls should wear these shoes because, when I think of a girl I think of a middle school girl or a young high schooler and I don't believe they should wear a shoe like this. At that age they are only wearing them for one reason and that is to get attention from boys because that is when they are hitting that stage on body image. I own a pair of red high heel shoes that are similar to the ones in the picture but I only wear them when I am going to a nice place with an outfit that is decent and they would go with. Granted I do wear them out every now and then because they are cute. But girls at a younger age aren't going through the same things that I am going through, they are going to school and hanging out with friends and that it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a pair of cute shoes to make them feel girly but the parents should control what shoes they are and not give them much heel. Girls don't understand they have the rest of their lives to wear shoes like that...and besides they usually hurt your feet anyways :)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 pm

I voted yes, but not because I "think girls should wear these types of shoes". The poll question is a bit misleading. Obviously, I am not a woman, so I have little to NO idea of what goes on in a young woman's life; but I believe a young woman should present herself in a way that makes her feel more confident in her own body. Yes, parents should keep a close eye on their daughter and make sure she's not embarrassing herself by going over the top, but if they believe that wearing heels every now and again makes their daughter feel more confident, then they should allow it (within reason).

tl;dr
I vote yes to the question "Should girls be allowed to wear these types of shoes"

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

No. I think it is ridiculous for girls to even consider wearing shoes like this! I'm with Hillary on the fact that when I hear the word "girl", I think of someone in the 8-14 range, and while they may think they are all grown up, they aren't. Red high heels are hot shoes, but it is disgusting to think of a 12 year old as hot. When someone gets to the age of 16, 17, or 18, they are old enough to understand that the way they dress gets a guy's attention. And by that point, if that's the attention they want, I think they should go for it. But a young girl doesn't understand the implications "dressing sexy" can have on the way guys think about them. They just want to be trendy and fit in. I think its issues like "sexy as a trend" for middle schoolers that make me appreciate the idea of a school uniform...or better parenting.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:15 pm

No, I don't think that girls should wear this type of shoes. I am absolutely on the same page as Hillary and Kristen. A girl is young, she is not yet a teen. There is no reason she should be wearing red high heels! These shoes send a message to everyone. They are making a statement and showing sex appeal. I do not think "girls" should have any sex appeal. I also agree with Hillary and Kristen that when girls grow up and are in upper high school and college, yes they can where this type of shoes, but they are no longer girls. They have made the transition to womanhood. I couldn't imagine letting any daughter of mine walk out of my house wearing shoes like that when she is still only a girl. When girls grow up, I think they can choose what they want to wear, but it is wrong while they are still so young.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:29 pm

I also say that no young girls should not be allowed to wear those type of shoes. We constantly are hearing the word tween to describe young girls and how they should act and respond to society, but wearing shoes like that is not appropriate for girls between the ages of 8-14. I am all for letting people choose how they look, but we have to take into consideration why they would want to wear them. At this age all they are looking for is attention from boys and at that age that is not something they should be thinking about. It also sends the wrong message to boys that this is what someone has to do to be attractive and sexy. We are teaching them the wrong morals. As girls mature into women they may begin to wear shoes like these, but it is only after they have reached womanhood that they should be exposed to it.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I also said no, girls should not wear shoes like this. as everyone else has said, the first thing that came to mind when i read the question was middle or high school girls wearing these shoes. i think probably the main reason they would want to wear shoes like this, is because they have seen celebrities that they look up to in the media wearing shoes like this (as well as outfits that they try to wear too). because they admire these women in the media wearing those shoes, and see the attention they get, they wear these shoes expecting to get the same attention from friends or boys. in addition to that, middle and high school girls have no need to wear shoes like this. they spend the majority of their day at school, where they are walking around a lot or just sitting, and then they are hopefully involved in some sort of activity-a sport or hobby-and i cant think of any activity a middle or highschooler does that requires these shoes! Like hillary said, these shoes would look acceptable for a woman to wear if she's dressed up for work or an event, but otherwise i think they would be inappropriate.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:39 pm

I said no. I definitely remember loving wearing high heels when I played dress up when I was little, but my high heels were nothing like that. My high heels were sparkly and plastic, or I would wear my mother's high heels which were definitely nothing like those. The difference is that when I was a little girl, I wanted to look pretty, not sexy. I don't think there is anything wrong with little girls wanting to look pretty, but society has taken what was pretty when I was younger and put all new standards on them. It really disgusts me how society expects girls to all have one body type and how beauty is characterized into a very tiny box that very few people can actually get in. I know very few girls who actually believe that they are beautiful, but so many that revolve their life around trying to be beautiful, but feel like it is unreachable. Being thin is such a main part of this. So many girls I know will work out everyday, many for multiple hours. Life is stressful enough and I hate that something as petty as body shape is one of the biggest concerns of almost every girl's life.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 pm

If my daughter wanted to wear those shoes it would not happen. On the flipside, as a teacher I would not mind a girl wearing those shoes as long as they are not a disruption to the class. As far as general public, it does not matter to me if other peoples daughters wear red high heel shoes. This question is hard for me to answer as a male.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I certainly don't think that young girls should be wearing red high heels. Of course they are just shoes, but our society has deemed them a "sexy" symbol. The red heels immediately attract attention and young girls don't need to attract that kind of attention (mainly male attention) yet. As a woman, fashionable clothes and shoes make us feel pretty. I'm not saying that young girls shouldn't wear things that make them look and feel pretty. I think they need to wear clothing that is appropriate for thier age. In today's modern world, where pop culture and media dominate, it is difficult for kids to simply be kids.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:37 am

Girls should not be wearing those high heel shoes. My Dad would never allow me to wear shoes like that at such a young age, and I'm glad if I wanted to he would've stood in my way. Society portrays body image as being the most important quality that someone posesses. Showing that it is okay for young girls to wear shoes that high is ridiculous. Even though they are just shoes, high heel shoes usually do make girls appear more "sexy". Middle school girls don't need to be held in this light, its not safe. Just putting on a simple pair of shoes could lead to one step in the wrong direction. It might just give a girl almost too much confidence for her age causing her to think she's old enough and ready to partake in other things that she just isn't.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I do not think young girls should wear high heels like the ones in that picture. Middle school aged girls are still developing and their bodies are still changing. I think that wearing shoes like this would only speed up the growing up process. I would have never been allowed to leave my house with shoes like that on, but I don't think I missed out on anything because of that. I do believe that it is important for middle school girls to make choices about what they want to wear because, in a way, that helps girls to figure out what kind of person they want to be. However, I don't think any young girl should wear heels like this.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Girls should definitely not be wearing shoes like that! I was spending time with my 13 and 11 year old cousins this weekend and they talked about the girls that were in middle school but were dressing like they were in college. It is hard for them because their parents will not let them dress like that (understandably) but the girls who do get all of the attention and really flaunt it. Children are growing up way too fast these days. I could have never seen myself dressing and acting the way that young girls act today.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Girls should not wear shoes like the ones pictured, they are way too sexy. When you see shoes like these you think hooker, well I think hooker. High heels aren’t comfortable anyway. They say that heels give you an attractive posture because the make you raise your chest and poke your butt out for balance. I don’t want to think about my niece wearing heels unless they are part of dress-up. I remember wearing heels once to middle school (when I got my first pair) and being so uncomfortable! I never wear heels unless there is a holiday, wedding or funeral. I don't think that shoes like this should be made in sizes smaller than a 6, that way they only fit older girls. I don't think that children are old enough to make decisions about sexy shoes until they are able to purchase them with their own money, and there is no allowance in my house.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:22 pm

I also vote no because when I think of a girl I think of someone around the age of 15 and below. At that age young girls have absolutely no reason to wear shoes that look like that unless they are trying to impress boys. At that age they should not be trying to attract the type of boy that would be turned on by a girl wearing that type of shoe. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't own a pair of high heels at all. I think that young girls should own shoes with a much shorter heal. Not to mention that by wearing shoes like that it could entice some girls to go even farther as to wearing more provocative shoes or tons of make-up. Besides of the way that those types of shoes make a young girl look they are also very damaging to their feet in the long run!

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:26 pm

My vote is no. When I think of "girl", I think of little girls between the ages of 8-12. Girls like to play dress up when they are little and wear their mom's heels but this does not mean the type of heels in the picture. Girls want to look pretty, not sexy. When I was that age I did not know what even sexy meant. I know times have changed but I still believe girls should not wear those types of heels. Yes girls need confidence and need to feel comfortable in their own bodies but these types of heels should not make them feel this way. I would never let my daughter wear those heels.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:50 pm

this is why a girl shouldn't wear these heels..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPkUMRE7yg

however, i voted that girls should be able to wear these shoes, and obviously thats contradicting to the majority of the class. i just believe that if you want to wear these shoes, you should be able to. its not like the girl is wearing a short shirt where her butt is hanging out, or a top where her boobs are hanging out. they are high heels. and to say that they are hooker heels is a judgmental statement, and is stupid. if a girl wants to wear high heels to enhance the way she looks then that doesn't make her a hooker. [/url]

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Personally, I feel that young girls should not wear shoes like the ones shown in the initial post. We are starting to encouraging the sexualization of girls at younger and younger ages, effectively perverting their youth and their perception of what is socially desired. What happened to enjoying childhood and being a child? Why can't young kids wear the more gender-ambiguous clothing? And WHY are we selling clothes for young girls with words like "sexy" printed on them? Maybe a young girl feels pretty wearing stylized clothing or heels like the ones shown, but there are other ways to boost a young person's confidence and dressing twice their age shouldn't be the right start. Ignoring the physical damage that can happen from repeatedly wearing heels, the social implications for a young child to start wearing shoes and clothing meant to project sex appeal are significant. If I have children, I will do my best to help them enjoy their childhood and not have it ruined by societal pressures to abandon childhood innocence in favor of cultural ideas of fashion and beauty (perhaps this is a naive goal but I will at the very least not buy my children clothes with words like "juicy" written on the pants). As a teacher, I hope to remind my students that maturity doesn't implicitly mean dressing twice your age. So, to answer the poll, no, I do not think these shoes are appropriate for anyone in middle school or elementary school.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:00 pm

I agree with many of the comments already made. First off, no girls should not wear these shoes. When I think of a girl, I think of a young middle schooler or high school aged girl. Girls this age have many pressures that they are dealing with already and whether or not to wear 4 inch heels should not be effecting them at this point. Girls are really finding their own at this age and discovering who they are and what they do or do not like about themselves. Image has a great deal to do with this. I can remember as a young girl hating my hair, my skin color, and always wanting to make sure I was up to date in all of my clothes. Trends play a large role in girls lives during this stage and by bring crazy high heels into the picture opens a door that can lead to eating disorders, depression, and low self esteem. Girls should stay young while they can because they will have to grow up eventually and if they chose, heels may be part of it all.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:49 pm

I pretty much agree with the majority of the class on this one. I view wearing high heels as a "grown up" kind of thing. Kids need to be kids and stop trying to grow up too fast. This is kind of similar to every kid having a cell phone nowadays. If a kid is in elementary school they do not need a cell phone (for emergency purposes it's understandable but that's it.) Once a girl reaches high school or maybe middle school, I feel it is acceptable to wear shoes like that.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next