View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Who should we be helping... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A part in the Poisonwood Bible mentions sarcastically- how can America help the Congo when they can't even help their own people (in the text she makes reference to Atlanta). I often find myself rapped up in this debate. Many times during the holidays I am asked to give money or items to families/children overseas. Normally I don't give. My reasoning- we have too many families here in need that are being overlooked (I see and work with them daily). My heart and money pours out to these families daily. I've heard many people say "Well I don't give to our people because they are on welfare and loving it. They don't try!" I don't see it this way. Many of my kids' families are not and will not take government assistance. They fight hard. We can't generalize and put all people into one box. I personally find myself wanting to help out people in my own community; my kids and families that I work with.

What do you guys think?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is hard to balance both local and international needs. I try to work with both. I donate through Samaritan's Purse because I feel their mission is clear and direct. I also support our school community. But as teachers, I feel we see need on a different level from the average citizen. Our hearts go out to the kids in our classroom and school. That's why so many of us just keep giving.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Think globally, act locally." You never know how far the smallest act of kindness will go.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I try to help take care of my little corner of the world. As much as we would like to, we can't take care of the whole world. We have so many people that have needs as great as the people of the Congo. At least the people of the Congo had a roof over their heads. We have a tremdous amount of Americans that are homeless. The people of the Congo didn't know they were missing anything. They lived as they always had. The homeless in America have lived better. I am sure it is harder on Americans to do without.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I often feel the same pull, but will always seize the opportunity of helping someone I know personally before sending gifts or money to a far away land. I feel that even if parents make bad choices of mis-using the welfare that has been given to them, it's the parents' fault not the child's! I feel sorry for the children of parents who do make bad choices that lead to great need.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that it is not the children's fault that they don't always have what they need. Sometimes it is just trying to survive and sometimes parents don't handle their money very well. Several teachers who have retired and will remain nameless would get mad at the children when they didn't have fieldtrip money. They would make the statement that their parents had money for beer and cigerattes. Maybe the parents did buy those things, but it had nothing to do with the children. The children were the ones suffering for their parent's choices. The teachers should not have left them behind at school because of this or treated them in a such a way.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know personally, I try to divide my giving into different categories. Once a month I try to choose a different organization to give to, whether its money or just my time. I know so many times that its just the act of reaching out that so many people have begun to be de-sensitized to in our world today. We have lost touch with how to look into the community and give of our time or even recognize those in need because we are so wrapped up in our own world. I often forget of the great need even in my school. More and more even in our private school, parents are in need. I have begun to try advertising different ways parents can demonstrate service learning and "giving back" opportunities as families.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I fell that we should try to help all of God's people. However we should start right here in our own neighborhood and then our state, then our country, then other countries. Often we try to help other countries when we cant help the people in our own communtities and I dont agree with that. We need to help our communities first.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is important to help both locally and globally. I too find myself asking those questions Erika. I know that it is sometimes a debate with my family because my brother and sister-in-laws have adopted children internationally, and are in the process of adopting more children internationally. Some people ask them why they do this when there are plenty of children here in the United States that need to be adopted and need help. Their answer is that it is their passion to help the orphans around the world because many of them don't have government regulations and programs that protect them like they do here in the United States. So whether it is right or wrong, I guess some people just have a heart for helping others around the world.

-Albert Einstein

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]