View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PICTURE THIS 

I think that I started thinking more about finding books, posters, and role models for all my students that they can relate to. At the end of the book, the team got their picture put up. Up until that point, the prior teams and photos looked very different than their team. I think it is important to help ALL students realize their potential, and provide students with examples of people with similar stories that overcame obstacles to succeed. In my classroom, I try to find books with multi dimensional and cultural characters.

"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we must find things that support multiple backgrounds. (This includes gender as well.) Children relate to things much better when they can connect with them.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I find that many of my students have not left the county. They have few life experiences to draw from. In my classroom, I try to have the walls full of colorful learning tools. I also have a varied collection of books that the children ask if they can take home. In order to teach our children, we must first provide life experiences for them. On a recent fieldtrip, I was amazed when the children got excited about seeing tall buildings and an airplane close up. I had forgotten that the only tall building they have seen was the hospital and the only airplane they had seen was flying in the sky. I was glad that these experiences were provided accidently to them.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have had good response from having books written in Spanish. Students get very excited when they see books in their home language. Even if they can't read in Spanish, they usually can find someone who can read to them. I especially like those books that are in English and Spanish on the same page. That way students can build both language skills. Just seeing themselves represented is important for their self-worth. Unfortunately, I haven't found many Hmong resources. Since their language has only been written for a few decades, many parents don't read in Hmong. Any suggestions?

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The students at my school also have limited background knowledge and experiences. This year I started doing a sharing time every friday afternoon. They can bring anything they want to share with the class. It has been a wonderful experience for our class. Many of my students had never been to the beach so a student brought in shells from a vacation. It started a great discussion about the beach and we pulled up photographs for them to actually see. It's amazing to see them learning from each other by sharing experiences.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too believe that many kids have limited experiences and will never see the world truly as "global". I realized this when we took our 4th graders on several trips last year. Many asked what they yellow cars with lights on them were. I told them they were cabs, and that we had them in Hickory. That just showed me what sheltered lives some kids lead. Much of it has to do with socioeconomics. So as teachers, I think we should strive to give children as many experiences as possible. Any time we can incorporate these activities either through technology or field trips we help the children with limited life experiences.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is very important to have multiple backgrounds in your classroom. Explain to children they can do what every they want to it does not matter what sex or race they are.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately, I have been guilty of not exposing my students to a variety of role models. Delpit's article was an eye opener for me. As a teacher, a would argue that I do whats best for all of my students. However after reading her article, I have realized that my classroom, more than likely, doesn't reflect an envrionment that is culturally empowering for all of my students. Although, the "culture of power" that is set up in any classroom my not be intentional, it is influential and can be detrimental.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]