View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gender? 
All-star
All-star

What is gender and what is gender orientation, and what is sexual orientation and what are the differences. To be honest I am just a little confused. They are all so close and I don't see how we can have a talk about one without the other. I am a femal heterosexual.... did I cover it all? I am not sure how any of this matters either. I am sure my teachers didn't care what I was except that I was an individual, with a unique mind that needed to be taught in its own way of unique understanding in order to get a series of scores so that they could keep a job. I know thats not all its about but... I don't know, maybe I don't know what my point is, I just know that I am never going to look at a child and say oh yes thats the homo that likes to cross dress. ????? :shock:

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:26 pm

I am not sure what the differences in Gender and Gender orientation are, but I think it could be that gender is male/female, and gender orientation is what gender a person acts like according to social standards. I am probably wrong. I think that gender is heavily based on society. I have had teachers who were nicer to guys, and ones who are nicer to boys, and they all had their idea of how each should act. A teacher should not have any ideas or opinions about gender or they will probably favor one group. Questions about gender should not be in school, job interviews, or any other institution, so everyone can have a fair shot.

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kristen, I think it's awesome that you will not discriminate against or have any bias in your classroom, but I think that, unfortunately, many teachers do. I also think that it's cool that we are talking about this issue in college instead of just ignoring it.

Has anyone ever watched shows like Maury when there are transexuals and transgenders all dressed as women and the audience has to guess and see which people were originally male and originally female?! Is this terrible? Is it bringing the wrong kind of attention on these people? On shows like this the audience is looking at these people as confused freaks. Moreover, these shows are saying that it's not so bad for a man to become a woman, but they never show a woman becoming a man.

I think gender is socially constructed and that there are some people who are extemely female, some who are exremely male, and some who are in between and that is OK. Like with other prejudices, I have such a hard time understanding why people are so prejudiced and hateful toward these people. We are all who we are, and that is a beautiful thing.

Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

its definitely important that all our observations and opinions stay away from how we teach. Each child is supposed to be getting the best education, and that is to be provided by the teacher. We're not here to separate and judge, though we all have our personal opinions (not necessarily "judgements"). We as teachers, don't know their backround or what the causes are for certain behavior, but keep it separate, for your sake and the child's.

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:48 pm
All-star
All-star

If I'm getting this right, GENDER is your sex (male/female), GENDER ORIENTATION is the sex that you most act like, and SEXUAL ORIENTATION is the sex that you're attracted to (hetero-/homosexual). I think this is right, but like everybody else, I'm not exactly sure.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:46 pm
All-star
All-star

yes... i know we should not make judgements etc.... but HOW exactly does a teacher not make judgements when dealing with certain issues? what practical steps can they take?

and certainly nothing else.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what all of you are saying about the difference between gender, gender orientation and sexual orientation...if we're all defining it the same way (as wrong or as correct as our definitions may be). I also agree that teachers should not make whatever judgements they might have about one certain group or the other have any sort of affect on how students are treated in the classroom. I think that sheila has touched on a good subject, but i'm not sure what kind of circumstances you want to discuss...give us some examples to work with, please because i think it's worth talking about.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]