View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Okay "YOU GUYS!" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"You Guys"... I've never thought of that as being sexist since i've grown up with it my whole life. "Guys" to me is like "everyone" or "you all." But i see how in a classroom it could be confusing to some kids, and for those who are learning english, or their primary language is not english. But I definitely don't think it is sexist at all. Its important to to ask for boys and girl's help to run errands or move things around in the room. Keep that in mind all you future teachers! :wink:

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:13 pm

I have never really thought about saying "you guys" I guess because it is a part of our culture. I do not see it as being a sexist comment. I do agree that teachers should ask girls and boys to help move the furniture and other things in the classroom, because some girls like to move things. Usually when I substitute teach and I need someone to move something or run an errand, I always send one boy and one girl.

Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Calling people "you guys" is something that I don't even think about doing! But now that we've been discussing it in class I catch myself saying it all the time. I work at Belk and when I'm done with a customer I ALWAYS say "Thanks guys, have a good night." It really is something that I need to work on I guess. It was just funny to me because every time I would catch myself but then say it again to the next customer! It's just something that I don't think about because I've heard it all my life.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:31 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree saying "you guys" is something that I have always done and grown up hearing and saying. I especially think that I am always saying the phrase is because I was born in the north and people say it there all the time. In the south you hear it too, but you also hear "hey y'all", which to me sounds even worse. But I think either of these phrases are relatively harmless, they may not be grammatically correct or considered slang but I don't think there is really much harm in using these phrases.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think that saying "you guys" to a group of both guys and girls is sexist at all. It is just a way of addressing a group of people that is all guys or a mixture. In spanish if you are refering to a group of people you always use the masculine ending, unless you are only talking to girls. I guess you can try not to say guys to a group of only girls but I really don't think it is sexist.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i also believe that "you guys" is not a sexiest remark. i believe that in a classroom you need to give all equal opertunities to help and do certian jobs, but i never have thought that using this fraze would be something that would case problems for people. i believe that this is fine to say in the classroom and if a student has a problem with it i will be more than happy not to say it.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that you guys just like ladies and gentleman is sexist. I'm saying this because of the talk with had with the individual who was gay. He told us that it is sexist to talk inthe manner. I am from up north and I say you guys a lot, it is my background. So, I wonder how I am going to overcome this when I enter the classroom. Any suggestions?

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To help overcome using "you guys" try practicing other general labels to use in a class. Even start saying them now before you get to class.
Examples:
"Class"
"students"
"everybody"
"boys and girls"
this might be a stretch for ya--"Ya'll" :)
or even skip that attention getter, and go straight to what you want to say to these "guys"-- "I need you to go back to your seats now" or "Line up at the door now" instead of putting "you guys" infront of your sentences.

Just an idea, hope it helps

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I honestly don't think it makes a difference. As I look back on it now I don't even remember what my teachers said much less thought of it as sexist when I was in 4th grade when a teacher came in and said something like "you guys". So I guess what I'm sayin is I don't think it matters all that much. Now saying something like I need some strong guys to come help me move these desks, yea that would be something I wouldn't say now that I think about it. But something as simple as "you guys" no I just don't see it making a difference.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree that its not a big deal. I mean, how many elementary school kids even know that it could be racism??? Their views of racism are probably surfaced. But if in any case it just HAPPENS to come up.... my above suggestions would come into play.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]