View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A Class Divided 
All-star
All-star

i think this was a great video. I also think the teacher was very brave for doing it. I came from an elementary and high school that had all white students and I think it would have been great if some of our teachers would have done this experiment with us.
I also think that you could use an experiment like this to teach children about disabilities. Children are sometimes cruel when it comes to dealing with handicap students. I think we could teach our students a valuable lesson by having them simulate a disability. What do you think?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:56 am
All-star
All-star

hmm...interesting take on the experiment. I definitely think it could work to include disabilities. Maybe asking the kids to list who they have seen treated differently...how they are treated differently...why they are treated differently (i.e. minority races, disabled, poor, less popular, etc.).

Thanks for making me think of this in a broader sense...not exclusive to race.

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:33 pm
All-star
All-star

you have a good point regarding the handicapped children statement, but i think the point of the experiment is to keep an open mind and not judge anyone. i think the teacher in the video was applying it to the current situations, but i think if the kids had been older she could have taken it to that step. the teacher who did it with my class definately emphasized race, but that was because it was a history class dealing with the civil rights movement. i remember talking about it with other kids and the conversation was obviously influenced by a lack of judgement and many open minds.

Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Kristie, I would have never thought about doing this experiment to teach others about disabilities. It could help open the minds of some children who have been exposed to other children with disabilities. It may help them not to pass judgement on handicapped children.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed this video and the teacher who opened up her children's minds to what was going on in their society. I think the children learned a valuable lesson and they obviously kept it with them through the years. I want to make a difference like that in my own classroom someday and I hope I can. :) The idea of using this experiment for them to understand handicapped children would also be useful.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:31 pm
All-star
All-star

You do have a good point. Using this experiment toward disability issues never crossed my mind. It possibly could work very well in the classroom. I feel that everyone needs to be educated about disabilities, including children. The experiment that we did in our Learner Diversity class really opened our minds and hearts to the way that people with Disabilities may feel. However, we still need to be careful in the classroom when using any type of experiment about race and disabilities.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is a great idea to use the experiement to help children understand that disablities don't change who a person is. I think the experiement in this case could go one step further and show students how to help other children with disablities. Does anyone have a different opinion on that??

Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:21 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I too really enjoyed this video. I always love seeing someone who isn’t afraid to speak up on the issue of differences. This teacher made a potentially life-changing point to the students that day. If all teachers could take a stand the way this lady did, discrimination in all its forms could come close to being wiped out completely.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I would love to try this with my class. We are having some racial issues dealing with Hispanics. Some of my students are very racist and this experiencement might give them a differrent take on people different from them

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would be really interested to see the effects of this experiment in my home town, which is to say the least charged with some racial tension. I would like to think that it would really help students challenge the prejudices that are really prevalent in some of their homes.

Tue May 04, 2004 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]