View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 paddling in schools: right or wrong?? 
All-star
All-star

I was interested in the policies of paddling within our county as well as the surrounding counties (Ashe, Avery, Alleghany). So, I called a few elementary schools from each county and found out some interesting information. Some Watauga county schools have not participated in paddling/corporal punishment in over 10 years, while other counties such as Ashe are active with this policy. Mountain View Elementary (Ashe county), for example, requires a permission slip from the parents, and the school must notify the parent before paddling the student. West Jefferson Elementary also requires a permission slip, and the principal is the only individual able to do the paddling. (I wasn't able to get in touch with people from Alleghany and Avery counties to give me such information.) I did not realize that paddling still goes on in our public schools. I personally do not agree with paddling students in school because I believe it teaches students that through violence we can solve our problems. What do you think? Should paddling be used as an active, positive way to deal with certain discipline problems in public schools? Why/why not????

Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Wow! I'm so surprised that anyone paddles anymore. Personally, I think that discipline can be handled in a much better way than paddling a child. I guess that a child who gets paddled may "learn their lesson," but the discipline is not appropriate to the behavior unless the child hit another child. Let's say that a child stole something from another child, though; paddling has nothing to do with stealing, so the consequence isn't appropriate. Nevertheless, regardless of whether a parent turns in a permission slip, I don't really think that any child deserves to be hit as punishment. There are better ways to do it, but I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions, even if you don't agree with me.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:16 pm

I wasn't aware that paddling still went on. I do not see this as a method that should be used for handling situations of misbehavior. However I do feel that this method could have positive affects on some students. I think that the teacher and the school should have a right to paddle a student if they feel that this is the right course of action. I think that paddling should be a last resort if all other courses of action have failed in the past.

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

man, i never wanted to get in trouble not beacuse i was affraid of the paddiling or any other form of punishment in the school but of the fear that i would be spanked and punished severly by my mother when she found out!! (dad always played the good guy at my house- something im going to try to take up when i have kids :wink:)

Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I honeslty had no idea that paddling was even allowed in the schools anymore. I think paddling may work for some kids, but not for all kids. I think it is more beneficial if the punishment fits the crime. Rules can always be flexible, and consequences should reflect the intended rule broken.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that we have evolved into a society where we don't need paddling anymore because I believe we have other forms of discipline that work just as well. Although when I was in elementary school everyone feared "the paddle" and it was a reminder that sat in our minds. But i was not aware that paddling still went on. I wonder why some schools choose to paddle and others don't...does anyone have any ideas???

<3 Jennie Ingram

Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:49 pm
All-star
All-star

In my elementary school they used to paddle when I was there. I think that paddling not only shows students that (like Julie said) "through violence, we can solve our problems." It also singles the student out and opens him/her up for ridicule from classmates. I know that in my elementary school if we heard about someone getting paddled, some students might laugh at them or make rude comments only to hurt the student more. And just think about how we're teaching kids to solve problems; by hitting or inflicting pain?? That's awful, and people wonder why domestic violence rates are up?? We as future teachers and administrators must try to abolish the paddling scheme or punishment. My two cents :)

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]