View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Middle School Craze.... 
All-star
All-star

I dont know how many of you have heard about the plastic band craze that just happened, so heres a brief summary. Guy gives girl a colored band to wear, each color symbolizing some sexual act. If the girl takes the band, she is suppose to preform the act when the band breaks. ***The band will break too, they are thin and very easily broken.*** I know that some schools have banned the bands because they were so distracting. How do you feel about this and as a teacher how would you feel when you saw students wearing the bands one day and not the next?

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:37 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Just so you have an idea here are the meanings for the different colored bracelets. Black=sex, Blue=blow job, Green=cunnilingus, Clear=anything you want, Orange=kiss, Yellow=hug, Red=lap dance, Purple=anal sex, silver=fisting, White and/or pink=flashing, gold/glitter=make out, brown=analingus, and glow in the dark=use of sex toys.
***I know that as a middle school student and even as a high school student I didnt know what some of these things were, and now middle school studnets not only know what it is, but they are doing it too.. :shock:

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:48 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Wow. I have not heard of this. I am a middle school teacher and I am going to keep my eyes posted for this. If I see it, I will let the principle know of what it means. As for handling it..I think I would take the student/s out in the hall and talk to them seperately about the bracelets. Then, I would let the principle know that this is happening and discuss with my team members the appropriate actions. If it happens, I will let you know..

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:30 am
All-star
All-star

i had heard of this "trend" but kinda just wanted to throw a blind eye to it because it my mind it just doesnt seem real that something like this would happen. i try to remember back to what life was like when i was in middle school and it was a big deal if you were able to hold hands in the lobby during break. i dont know what to make of these bracelets. im sure a lot of adults wouldnt know what the bands meant so if i did, id feel a bit of responsibility to act towards the situation. but then i kind of want to say the sexual life of a student isnt really my business - if its any adult's then itd be the parents' business. i think i might create a handout and send it home to the parents. i wouldnt let the kids know i was doing it though. if i had to, id just buy my own postage and send it that way - if i thought the situation was serious enough. im just baffled though. kids know what this stuff is!?

sidenote: if you've seen the movie "thirteen" then you know the life of a "rookie" teenager can be just as wild as someone who is in their early 20s. its about a girl who is thirteen, just in the seventh grade and she gets into drugs and sex with older guys. its a rough movie but a real eye opener.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:31 am
All-star
All-star

I saw a thing on the news about those bracelets and my mouth dropped. Kids are growing up so much faster these days, and it's scary. I would definitely not allow that kind of stuff in my classroom, and I'd let the principal know what was going on. I think it's important for teachers to know about types of situations like these. You never know what different colored bracelets might mean, so we should all be alert.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not consider myself a naive person, but Oh My! I am shocked!!!
I have never heard of these bracelets and I do not think I have ever seen them either. It makes me so sad that students that young are already getting into stuff like this. I know as a middle school student I did not know what half of that stuff meant.
Really, I have no other words that could express my shock! :oops:

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I had never heard of these either and it's crazy to think that kid's are maturing so fast these days. I didn't come to this realization until I started doing my internship this semester. I have found myself having to seperate and talk to FIRST graders about their actions and what they say to one another. It's just shocking to me how much children know now and pick up from watching tv or others around them. I can't begin to imagine what it will be like even a few years from now! :shock:

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had heard of the bracelet system before but I too wanted to think it was just some urban legend. I knew to some degree about the sexual activties that some of my classmates participated in while in middle school, but I was never part of that whole world, I just heard the rumors. Hopefully that's not something I will have to deal with in elementary school, but I will still be haunted by the thought of it.

Tue May 04, 2004 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]